Clicks audible in rear wheels

Asked by Jan 08, 2007 at 09:10 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I nearly always hear loud clicking--commensurate with the velocity--in my rear wheels from standstill to 30 m.p.h. acceleration. It started recently, about 2 months ago. My mechanic, whom I've since left because of a lot of bad work he did (e.g., returning 3 times for the same repair; breaking my brand new horn twice upon installation on a brand new steering wheel then gluing it on!; taking 4 weeks after I drop off my car for a simple repair, etc., etc.) told me it was because of "rocks" caught in my treads. Sounds like a lot of baloney to me in light of his shoddy work. Is it true?

22,830

Sorry to rain on your SunnyRainbowHeart but it's doubtful that the problem is as simple as rocks in the treads (imaginative line of BS however!). The two thoughts that popped into my head were 1) rear wheel bearings or 2) the trailing arm bolts need to be re-torqued. Those first impressions aside, find a new mechanic and take your Vette to him to have your rear end checked out. This feels like a problem you should get on early to save yourself some aggravation and money. Good luck!

Thank you very much, Lou B. Will do as you suggested. Any other thoughts out there so I can bring them to my new mechanic. (I don't trust many mechanics because they're either unknowledgeable, dishonest, or both therefore I like to get expert opinions from honest people and then present them to the mechanic as to what I want him to do. It's the only safe way for people like me who love cars but don't know very much about them.)

look to see if tire balance weights are hitting the undercarriage. on my c3 it was hitting the breakline.