puff of smoke

Asked by Apr 30, 2011 at 01:23 PM about the 1984 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have a 84 vette and I have a problem that i cant figure out.I see a puff of smoke from under the hood after the car is warmed up whenever i hit a large bump.I can smell a burnt oil smell.I have had several things checked out and no body can find the issue.I just replaced the power steering hose and res tank.It only haappens when i hit a bump so please give me an idea of what you think it could be.

1,435

Can only guess, but something is loose or cracked or leaking...maybe a valve cover, bump causing flex which causes oil to hit hot exhaust manifold....

yup the oil is leaking onto the exhaust , a common problem is the rear main seal, drips right onto the exhaut pipe.

455

STOP PUTTING OIL IN IT, & IT WILL STOP LEAKING. I GAURUNTEE IT.

And I GAURANTEE if you do stop putting oil in it he is right it will stop leaking. And you will need a NEW MOTOR!!! Oil will leak all out and you will be paying for that new motor. I believe you will more than likely find out that it is either the rear main seal, frt main seal, or a leaky valve cover. Good Luck.

3,125

The best way to find a leak is to get a can of engine bright (degreaser) completely spary the engine ,do not get it in the carb or distributor,cober those up with a plastic bag or simular.rinse it off , let it dry , start the car up and look for the leak.

12,415

You said after hitting a large bump you smell burnt oil? Check all your fluids for any drop in the normal levels. It is a place to start looking at which type of oil is creating the problem. Power steering fluid? Look at the exhaust pipes to see where the oi8l is burning on the pipes and trace it back to the source. If it is a valve gasket, the oil can travel a ways before leaking on the exhaust pipes. Perhaps there is a pool of accumulated oil on top of the engine, and hitting a bump may cause it to spill over enough to leak onto the hot exhaust pipe. Happy hunting.

50

Well I found out what the puffs of smoke were from.It was valve cover gaskets.I had taken it to a shop and they told me they replaced them however when I pulled them I could tell all they did is used the old ones and told me they had replaced them.I did get some good tips however the people that tell you to not put oil in a car or come up with other non helpful tips should stop answering.Thanks to those that submitted useful tips.