Hi, should I start running non-ethanol gas in my car? (1977 Corvette).

85

Asked by Apr 15, 2015 at 03:56 PM about the 1977 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I was told the car would run better if I used the non-ethanol gas, since that is what it was built for.  Also, can anyone please tell me if using this non-ethanol gas would help my GAS MILEAGE?  That car seems to drink gas, bad!  It's a four speed.  I thought they got better gas mileage than an automatic.  I've had this car for about 10-11 years now.  I never knew about running non-ethanol gas and the potential benefits.
I've found it for $2.99/gallon, which I can afford.  93 octane.  

Thank you so much, for any help or suggestions!  I appreciate it.

Beth

101,885

Yes definitely, and you will notice an increase in mileage. Benefits are better running engine, longer lasting carb interior components, longer lasting fuel lines and pumps. Good show, glad to know someone out there is still paying attention to the classics. FYI if you can't get ethanol free fuel like if your on a trip, I have had good results running StaBil Marine fuel additive even though the rig I have is a daily driver, after I started using it no more carb trouble.HTH

Best Answer Mark helpful
85

Tennisshoes, thanks for the great advice. And I'm glad to know about the mileage issue. I hate they changed over to that ethanol mess, several years ago. I'm just glad that some stations do still carry it.

101,885

I have a fella just down the road from me that has a 75 Vette and was having a terrible problem with his carb due to this stuff they are trying to tell us is fuel until I told him about a station 5 miles away that sold the good stuff, now no more problems and he keeps a bottle of the StaBil Marine with him at all times, he said that he only had to use it once but didn't notice any problems and his mileage didn't change.

85

I agree! I heard basically the same thing about the gas being sold today. It's like our food. Nowadays, we are eating "Frankenfood" the majority of the time. Not the real stuff our grandparents ate. That's for sure! LOL

52,535

It's funny, I run both ethanol E-10 gasoline and gasoline with no ethanol. I see little difference in fuel mileage and have had zero trouble with my 4 vehicles and my lawn mower. The Corvette sat in the garage for a year with stale E-10 in it and it fired right with no issues. Now getting water in E-10 causes all sorts of problems, but it is more water caused than ethanol caused.

85

Hi Bob, If my car had sat for a year period, it definitely wouldn't start. Yours is in better shape than mine. But I've been driving it almost daily to work, the last 3 weeks or so. Prior to that, I hardly ever drove it. Thank you for your comments.

101,885

man Bob I can't run my lawn mower on E10 at all it only spits back, put in non E10 and it fires up after the junk fuel get run through. My Old Chrysler will run on it but hates the stuff if not treated. My Tahoe that I had when this E10 got started dropped from 18 MPG to 14 MPG highway.

85

I just had a thought: IF my car could talk to me, it would probably say a few of things: (All of which I do agree with)! 1). You need to learn how to change gears better. Quit jerking me around. 2). Get me painted. PLEASE! 3). Don't wait until I'm almost on empty to fill me up! LMAO! Yes, weird, but my thoughts on what my car would say to me. Beth

165

Yea! Especially if it's not your daily driver. Non-ethanol gas will keep your fuel system cleaner and "bug" free. Nice car BTW. I had one for many years.

85

Hi Joey, Thank you. It needs a paint job. It needs some TLC. :-) I filled it up last night with the non-ethanol and it was $33.00 to fill it up. I drove it to work today. Beth

15,955

Man oh man. Cars not designed for corn fed gas can not run on that stuff. Newer cars now have marking that they are designed for it. Same as the 30 year old or older cars can't run on the non-leaded gas. The real gasoline has a higher octane and will give you more power so you use less gas to get the same hp to send you off down the road. I have a ton of relatives living in Iowa and they always warn me not to use ethanol gas unless the engine is designed to run on it.

85

Califcarson, I wish they had never added that mess. The bad thing is, there are only a few stations around here that have it. But, at least I know I can get it now. Beth

15,955

Ethanol gas is distilled corn or now beans, and it is mixed with regular gas to cut down on emissions. It has lower octane, so it takes more gas to get the same results as regular gasoline without distilled grain added. So it ends up not being as effective as it was sold to the bureaucrats. All car manufactures that want to sell their product in the states with ethanol gas, had to reconfigure their production lines to allow the engines to run on that stuff.

85

Cutting down on emissions is great, just wish there had been another way to do so, without getting rid of "real" gas. Beth

15,955

There is. Coal producing electricity, fracking natural gas, or a byproduct of gasoline, diesel. Horses eat hay and poop. walking takes oil based produced shoes. Maybe someone should introduce the Stat Track ,"Beam me aboard Scottie". But even that takes electricity or some source of power. We're stuck if we want to see the world.

85

LMAO! I am now gong to have "Beam me UP Scotty" in my head, the rest of the night. :-) Beth