Hi, I am brand new to this forum. I realize this may sound like a dumb question, please help! Which do I do first? Cosmetic or mechanical? I do drive it, just not everyday to work. Thank you!!

85

Asked by Mar 12, 2015 at 07:13 PM about the 1977 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

840

Mechanical ALWAYS, cosmetic you have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into and where its going to go if left unattended. But mechanical can cause more damage if left unattended, and if you're going to start working on it and find out the mechanical issues are deeper than realized better to know before you start dumping money into it

85

Hi Mauto1, thank you so much! I appreciate your advice. Beth

11,880

Yep, had a neighbor that spent 500 bucks to do upholstery in his boat project and never could fix the engine. Ended up selling the whole thing for 200 bucks just to be rid of it.

85

That's terrible! What a waste. Beth

11,880

Yea, I even had a conversation one morning with him and said "aren't you gonna work on the motor first?" he said 'It'll run" lol. Anyway, btw, nice ride! Have fun with your project! Mikel

I have a '79 L-82 4 speed and I would say a little of both. The knee-jerk reaction of fixing the mechanics first appears wise, but can leave the car owner feeling empty. Let’s face it; you have to look at the car every day. Simply put, fix only the mechanicals that NEED to be fixed to drive it , make the thing look good without spending a ton of money.

PS: that's a nice looking 1977 Corvette.

85

Mike, "It'll run." Famous last words! LOL! And thank you. The car needs some TLC, otherwise known as $$$. Haha! Frederick, you are right. I do have to see that car everyday. I tell you what REALLY pisses me off: Seeing bird shit on it. (OMG! I don't know if we are allowed to cuss here. I may get in trouble. I hope not). Anyway......I love birds and animals, but those birds need to go somewhere else to do their business!!! LMAO! And that is a beautiful picture you posted! Very nice. Beth

15,335

I agree with the boat seat story. Why wash it, and leave it in the driveway? I'd start with a tune-up, check the belts and hoses. Change out the coolant also. Then have the brakes looked at. All go, you need a little stopping action also. The body looks good, was and wax to start, elbow grease works wonders. Then you can change out what you want at your pleasure or billfold fillings. Old cars are like old boats or young wives, never ending money pit you just keep throwing money into. Cars may cost a little, but like a faithful don, they won't leave you.

85

LOL! Love that..........."Old cars are like old boats or young wives, never ending money pit you just keep throwing money into." That's too funny! Thank you, Califcarson! I appreciate your advice as well. Everyone here has been so nice and helpful! Thank you, again. Beth