1995 Taurus mysterious stall

Asked by Oct 21, 2010 at 02:08 PM about the 1995 Ford Taurus SE

Have a very strange situation with my Taurus. Recently, the engine started to stall when I engage either power lock or automatic windows. When engine stalls the illuminating lights inside go on with the doors closed???? When I turn the ignition switch off and open the door some strange buzzing noise comes from the driver side door. While this buzzing is going the starter spins the engine but engine doesn’t start. Then after closing and re-opening the door and randomly pushing buttons that buzzing noise stops and I am able to start the car again without problems. Tried to disconnect the central lock and power windows by pulling the fuses, but was unsuccessful – was either pulling the wrong fuses or it didn’t have an effect (diagram stated to pull fuses 6 and/or 8).
Your help in resolving the issue would be appreciated.

you may have a bad key switch,unhook the battery also,let it sit overnight ,it will clear the computer.

I did some more playing with the fuse box yesterday and that is what I found - when I disconnected the fuse #8 the power windows, radio, clock stoped working, although according to this page http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/Fuse_Panel_Diagrams power windows should be on the fuse #6??? in any case I continued to remove and install other fuses, with the #8 being removed at all times and buzzing stopped after I touched a relay and I was able to start the engine. Also, after looking at the website I saw that power windows and central lock are nideed related with the relay in the J position. Is there the possibility that the relya gone bad? As far as computer, I was not able to disconnect the battery since the leads are all gunked up, but that is another issue, which I will deal with shortly. Thanx for your post.

YES,it could be a bad relay.

10

Now I am spending the whole evening trying to find the darn location for the J relay. Do you have any idea where it may be? Thanx

most of your relays are in the fuse box under the hood,some just hang down from under the dash,some are located on firewall.

Any luck finding the source of your problem? Mine, a 1995 Taurus, just started doing the same thing. Thanks

10

Yes, I did find the resolution to this problem and it was not fuse related at all. I had a loose ground wire and that was all. I downloaded the wiring diagram for the car and spent several hours studying them. (I am neither electrician nor mechanic at all) but I was able to figure out where the ground for windows and lights was. I found it under the left side of the driver's seat under the carpet. The screw that had the ground wire attached to the metal was simply loose.... I just tightened it and all my problems went away :))) To you as a suggestion it may not be that particular ground, but try finding them and checking for integrity. Good luck.

what about the mysterious stall problem,did this fix that also???

10

Yes, it did. It was that bad ground wire that caused all the problems including the "mysterious stalls" :)

that is kind of odd,but anyway its fixed good job on tracking down the problem.

20

can you give a better direction to the ground bolt ? on the floor..on the side wall power park brake etc thank you

20

nevermind I found it and IT WAS the problem..praise the Lord !!!!!