Did I do well on my investment?

Asked by rotorheadv8 Jan 19, 2007 at 06:22 PM about the 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray Fastback Coupe RWD

I am the 2nd owner of a '66 with the original 327/350hp motor. The car is not restored but is a good driver. White (original color) with original (but worn) saddle interior. Am planning to recondition keeping same colors. Body, frame and chassis solid. I understand that the 350hp is now a very desirable motor.  Paid $8,000. Car never wrecked. Purchased in '83. Have had too much fun to measure.

515

Yes I think you did well. But PLEASE don't do an engine swap. Leave the car orignal. If i'ts all orignal as you say please leave it that way. As you restore it as long as you keep it orignal you just keep building value. Great job, and good luck. :) Terry

515

Almost forgot whenever you get the chance I would love to see a picture of it, and I am sure the other readers would to, Terry

19,970

Hey rotorheadv8-- Well, to start with you have had almost 24 years of fun with this 1966 Corvette-- value of that is priceless. As for the mundane dollars and cents, that $8,000 you spent in 1983 is the equivalent to over $16,000 today. Next step is to find what that car is worth today. Good news! According to my favorite source, NADAguides.com, that 1966 'Vette is worth between $32,565 and $94,315. Sounds like a nice investment to me. Good luck from Bovan.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks for the input. To Ranger762: I have no intention of swapping engines. Its running great. Last rebuild 1986. Will see what I can do about some pics. To Bovan: Would have thought a bit less but have not been tracking prices for a couple of years. Hope the county doesn't get wind of it. They would love to see the tax revenues. Note: Bought the car in December '83. Was a 2LT in the Marines. Bought the car from the XO in the flight training squadron I was in. Used my flight pay. All the other guys were buying 290Zs, Camaros,Firebirdsand a few BMWs. The Commander was the original owner. Bought the car 2 weeks after he was commisioned in '66. Have lost track of the XO but would like him to know I have taken care of the car and have not cut anything off or glued anything on.

first and foremost....thank you for your Service to this country...Sounds Luke an Gerät Deal ...See what theyre Wörth just watch an barrett-jackson auction in tv....they only keep going up...the Deals äre out there..just Gotts look and be patient...is bought my 84 Greenwood for 2500$ and it looks and runs great ...so the bargains are out there

5

Its worth it to get a proper frame off restoration, if you have the equipment, you can do it yourself but the final investment is better left to a professional. If its done right and the numbers are all matching you could be sitting in a 175 000$ ride.

945

Don't let the money value take your attention and fun away. I would focus in proudly enjoying the ride in a perfectly restored head turner classic!!