My 03 CRV is making a sound like im dragging a piece of metal!!!

110

Asked by Jul 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM about the 2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD

My 03 crv, 112,000 miles makes a sound like im dragging a piece of metal! i got on all 4's and looked under the car and dont see anything. the sound is not related to braking, and goes away when i turn, but is constant when just driving !! Im taking it to the shop on tuesday (my next day off, only have 1 car ). does anyone have any idea what this might be?  Worried! (not to stereotype, but i am a female with little car knowledge)

Does it get louder with more speed, or the same at low speed and high? And 'goes away when I turn'..that is a mystery. Maybe we can solve it. Does the car have hubcaps? Reason I ask is I remember a lug nut coming off and rattled around inside...that's a wild shot~in~the~dark guess

110

Hi David! Thanks for looking at my question! No, it doesnt seem to be related to speed. No hubcaps, ive got the metal rims with the honda "H" in the center.

shimmy under there and take a look at what is left of your CV boots, probably all the grease has leaked out and now is starting to sound like a helicopter~ perhaps you need new axles?

...well I'm a guy and am expected to know everything---lovely stereotypes...we can work this out~

Heya H25...today even more beautiful then yesterday?...that's the way it has to be~

Good mornin' to both of ya'll .......and pondering this Angie. It is an odd one, but that's what we're here for

110

Thanks to you both....i guess i'll try to get under there and look at the CV boots ... and i'll post what it turns out to be once its repaired.. .....hope whatever it is isnt too $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

How are the brakes doin'?

Judge, actually no, I don't recall that sort of thing, and please do Angie let us know

H25, do you remember the "squeal strips" on brakepads to tell you when it is time for a brakejob? perhaps this is a squeal strip out of sorts?

scrape-along cassidy~

Now that I do. We called them 'sounding tabs', same thing, so they would scream like a banshee before the pad rivets dug in to the rotor... and I can see where you're going with this now, and I think you are on to something

110

the brakes seem to be ok...no issues when braking (not having to press all the way down and no squealing) , but then again, my car does have quite a bit of miles on it and i know the last time the brakes were replaced was a few years ago. I know its ultimately my responsibility, but the last time i had my oil changed, they didnt mention any issues with the brakes when they did their "full inspection".

is this sound like a trapped birdy or a weightlifter who's weights got strapped onto the back of the car?

110

LOL! yes, more like the weightlifter who's got weights strapped to the back of his car...a crackly, metal dragging sound..

whoa....like that doesn't help...rubbin' my forehead...rubbin' rubbin' if the noggen is still attached...relates to speed...goes silent when you stop...now I'm thinking that it is your catalytic converter and exhaust hangers are not hanging it properly (the crackly popcorny sound is the tip-off)...but would only do this with the engine running as a front wheel drive would have the exhaust running to the back, and take a look at the hangers...with a gloved hand physically shake the exhaust system and see if this produces the sound~

110

omg! the second i read "pop-corny sound", you hit the sound description right on! gonna try this on my lunch break( at work right now). You are so funny, btw! Thanks, judge_roy!!!

110

hi guys... just wanted to let u know...the "exhaust shield" was rusted..and they just removed it...i guess this is something that my car doesnt need? thanks again for spending your saturday morning with me :)

aaawww, you're sweet angie42775~!

Sounds like a torque converter issue. Same happen to me, went ignored and took out my transmission

Mine was also making a horrible noise. Turned out to be a huge chunk of ice wedged between the universals and the floorboard. Broke it up with a hammer and that was the end of it.