Honda Accord Vibrates and Sounds like a helicopter

25

Asked by Jun 11, 2010 at 02:29 PM about the 2006 Honda Accord Value Package

Recently, our 2006 Honda Accord has had instances of vibrating and sounding like we're in a helicopter.  It's not a constant thing.  But lately, when travelling on the freeway doing between 50 and 70 mph, it starts up with a vibration throughout the entire car and it's vibrating so much you hear it vibrating.  It sounds like a helicopter...that's the best way to describe how it sounds.  It doesn't do it every time we drive...but it seems to do it on I-271 in Northeast Ohio more often than anywhere else.  I have no idea what can be causing this...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

9,625

Being an '06, I would rule out things like strut, wheel bearing, tie rod, etc.... Chances are extremely great you lost a wheel weight.. If you steering wheel is vibrating... It is one of the front wheels, if not then it is one of the back ones... Inspect the wheels inside and out, look to see if it appears to be missing a wheel weight... Or take it to a tire shop and have your wheel balances checked.

2,995

Take the vehicle to your local Honda dealer and have them perform a road force balance and have them check the runout of the wheels. The good thing about going to a dealership is that whenever a service is performed, a free multi-point inspection is done as well. Having the inspection performed by a highly trained Honda technician instead of Joe Blow tire tech is also a plus. This way any/all other issues can be found, i.e. loose,bent or broken suspension components, etc.

285

Its a decepticon in disguise. Turn it in to the government.

25

I just wanted to say thank you for the responses. I took the car in and here's what happened: Replaced front right rotor Replaced front brake pads - both sides Adjust calipers for back (and front if that's something not included with replacing brake pads) Also made a note that I'm going to need new tires soon because mine are dry rotting. I haven't driven it enough to be sure the vibrating/helicopter sound has stopped - but so far so good. Thank you for your responses!!!

gerstygirl - did your problem fix with those repairs? I have the SAME problem. it's VERY annoying and no one can seem to figure out whats wrong. brake are fine, tires new, re-aligned, bushing was redone recently and it is still happening - just like you described (2006) and its so annoying and I also feel scared when it happens. Please let me know! Thanks!

25

My vibrating and helicopter sound stopped with the repairs. Replaced front right rotor, replaced front break pads, adjusted the back calipers. Then I did get new tires too and it's been fine.

THANK YOU!

Mine was diagnosed for poor shocks that required brand new shocks and tires.