strong vibration thru both seats Bottoms) at highwat speed 60-70mph

Asked by Jan 05, 2016 at 07:47 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

while driving I hit as road drain with my right front and rear wheel. I hit this at approximately 45mph, there was a hard thud when hit (like a pot hole). There is no shimmy in the steering wheel but has a very  very slight vibration . Both the drivers and passenger seats have a very strong vibration coming from the bottom of the seat, this happens at highway speed.. do you have any suggestion as where I start in having this fixed.
thank you Bruce T

49,385

Likely you have a bent wheel or suspension damage. I'm placing my bet on a bent wheel or broken belt in a tire. Take the car to a Corvette specialist or a good reputable alignment shop to check the wheels and take a close look at the suspension. Please report back on what you find the problem was as it may help someone else.

I agree with Bob its probably a broken belt in your tire

14,705

Start with a visual inspection of the tire. You may of nocked off a balancing pad and you are out of balance. Next look to see if you have any unusual sear on the tires, as it may of been pumped out of alignment. If you can, put the tires on the other side of the car and see if the vibration has moved to the passenger side. A good tire shop can tell if you have tire damage. I had a vibration like you described at freeway or highway speeds. It was the cords in the tire getting ready to let go. I put new three on and the vibrations stopped. My bet would be a tire replacement may fix it. To you have insurance to replace the tires or have a tire policy protecting against road hazards? If it is the tires, also get an alignment. Vibrations do bad things to suspensions.

Finally had the vette looked at, I bent both passengers side rims. When the front wheel was pulled off, the alignment was off and the inside of the tire was down to the steel belt. this was on the very edge on the inside of the tires and you didn't notice this. Guess I was very lucky. Thanks for your help. Bruce

14,705

That was an Ouch number 9. Lucky you didn't lose control and cause further damage. Was the drain damaged which caused your tires to be damaged? If so, contact the city and file a claim for damages to your car for repairs. Worth a shot.

14,705

That was a C-7 Z06 that tried to remove a tree.