How good is the 85 camaro iroc z?

Asked by Jan 07, 2009 at 07:20 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Coupe RWD

I'm planning to buy a used 85 Camaro but havn't found any good reviews. Are the 80's camaro's any good?...or 70's?

HECK YES! Well, the mid '70s ones aren't the best, but if it is an IROC Z, it is almost guaranteed to be a really good car as long as it hasn't been trashed.

70s and 80s r both great years they got a good strong but light body stout motor and ok gas for the power if u get the rite motor i got a 95 v6 and im gettin 22 mpg out of it any IROC is gone b a good fast car but all camaros that i have driven have a shake at 85 to 100 so if its a lil wierd and shakes of floats dont wory its normal

Yes the 70s and 80s are great but if your lookin for power if your lookin for a great restoration project go with the 70s. i got a 87 iroc camaro its a very great car and its very reliable

While the car is great in it's own respect, the owner of comaros have never been gentle to them. Chances are it's been beaten to hell at some point in time, and it is a 20+ year old car so you need to expect things to break... That being said, I'd buy it...

V-8 Camaros are great cars 1985-1992. They will run for well over 150k miles. Parts are cheap, and the are fairly easy to work on. Look for a TPI engine car. Great power, and fun to drive. Good parts source:

The '80s camaros were really good, don't let anybody tell you they weren't, my friend has a 1985 Z28 and it runs good, I had an '87 Iroc I got at an auction for 1,000 dollars and it was carbureted but still ran fast :)

Let's all not forget the 1985 Camaro Iroc-z (International Race Of Champions) was the first year the Iroc was made. in 1985 only 21,177 were made and the one's with t-tops are hard to find. The only thing I did to my 1985 Iroc-z White with Blue pearl is change the engine to a 327 Corvette motor awesome. See my pic

that car is mint

I owned an 87 Irocz for 8 yrs and it had about 200k miles on it and I absolutely loved the car! Wish I would have kept it instead of trading it on a truck when I finally blew the motor up doing one of the best smokey burnouts ever!

Cathy my 1985 Iroc-Z is all redone but I did change the engine to a 327 Corvette motor see pic and mine is for sale white with blue pearl automatic w/ b & m rachett shifter

I wish I hadnt sold my Iroc :'( but I can get another one :u

i love mine, if its a tpi it will have some nice torque. lots of people like the 60s and 70s cars and like to hate on the 80s muscle cars but always remember its just because there jealous that there cars dont turn. very good handiling car for a live rear axle

and they shouldnt shake at higher speeds... one of there downfalls was they eat through transmission mounts causing them to shake at higher speeds a $10 poly mount will take care of that for good and its very easy to install

The one I have right now is a 1992 Z28 with the 5.7 TPI, and I swear I'll never sell it for even 50 grand. But when I had her goin on the freeway I was doing 110 mph and the dashboard cover started to shake violently, is that because of the trans mounts ?

the 85 iroc is a more economical choice having less power however if your looking for power get the 69 z28 :D

well being that its 20 years old it could be a few things but its more than likly the trans mount, mine used to do the same thing at 80... 90+ and thats what it was. im on my third one now and ive only put 15000 miles on the car lol they shred right and left but a poly one will hold up good

It's a rattle box , 75% of the car is plastic & it squeeks & rattles all over the car.

I have an 1985 IROC-Z with the L69 5.0 H.O. 5 speed disc brake posi its all original black with gold stripes and saddle interior with every option.... its plenty punchy and handles like its on rails ... If you walked up to me with 20,000 I'd tell you to keep walking!

its a fantastic car plus you can say i own a camaro. these things are awesome but it might need a superchager

Awesome cars! I've had an 85 and an 87.

I have a 85 iroc and have owned it since 87.It's been sitting in my garage for the last four years.191,000 on it but mostly highway miles.305 tpi still runs but needs a little work.Body was mint before I parked it.No rust no winters minor cosmetic damage due low speed accident.Still in love with it after 28 years.Driven but never beat on.

If you're gonna buy an 85 IROC-Z, be patient and find one with the 5.0 Liter H.O. 5 Speed...........Don'y buy an automatic or the 5 speed IROC with the base 8 cylinder engine..........You'll know it's a true H.O. IROC if the 8th digit of the VIN # has the letter "G"; if it doesn't, walk away..........It's gonna take you some time to find the car since only 2,987 were produced; and more than half are probably in the junk yard........But trust me, when you find a nice solid driver, you'll realize it was worth the wait.

To bad the 5.0 liter the week motor. That's why they used the 5 speed. They did not use the 5 speed behind the 5.0 TPI it would have broke only the 700R4 was used behind this motor. You want an F in the vin. I have owned an 85 Z-28 for over 20 years. It was a dealer ordered car with the TPI 305, 4 wheel disc, Limited slip differential with 3.23 gears, different springs, iroc hood, this car will NEVER be sold. It has no problem dealing with iroc's with the 5.0 liter H.O.and 5 speed or700r4.

If you have your heart set on an 85, go with an automatic 305 TPI, vin F. The 5 speeds that came in those cars would BARELY hold together with the old carbed 305. The 700R4 that came in the IROC was the same one as the Corvette.. don't be fooled, not all 700R4's were created equal, it depends on what car they came in. The 700R4 can easily be built to take over 500HP, so when you put that 350 in you know it will hold up. The real problem with them is the mileage it will have on it, at 30 years old the mileage will be north of 200k and that 305 just wasn't up to that. Also with the age it will have become loose and squeak and rattle unless the previous owner kept things repaired and tight. I own an 85 T Top IROC-Z and am the original owner. I always took good care of the car and when the time came, swapped in a 350 with a bit over 400hp at the crank, the trans was also rebuilt. For a thrill, rebuild the front end with a PST poly-graphite kit and ass subframes, solid panhard rod and a strut tower brace... with those the car will handle like it is on rails trailing arms