1988 irocz28 camaro not getting fuel

115

Asked by Jun 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM about the 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z

I have a 1988 iroc z28 5.7 liter engine 7,600 org miles. Has been setting in the garage for the last 4 years. Because i had spine surgery. I primed it to get oil back up in the engine before starting it. When i first cranked it over sparks came from the lower part of the passenger side fender. After that the engine would crank over but i did not hear the fuel pump come on when i went to start it.I took off the fuel line to the injectors and cranked the engine. There is no fuel getting to the engine. Any ideas on what i need to do to fix it. Your help is greatly  appreciated.

109,875

Check all your fuses. The pump should come on and prime when the key is in the on position. If all fuses look good then check the wires at the pump to see if they are getting power to turn pump on. Also did you get all the old gas out? If not then I advice to do that now. Is that one of the tpi engines?

109,875

Did you ever locate where the sparks came from? Might have just been a bad connection on the starter. If I not mistaken that's about where yours is located. The sparks could have blown a fuse that goes to fuel pump.

109,875

Oh by the way those are great looking old cars. Here's my 1985 z28 I've been working on.

115

Thank's for the quick replys. I put in some gas treatment and four gal's of gas. I had less then 1/8 of tank of gas when i parked it. I was thinking the same thing about the fuse. Would it be close to the battery? I really appreciate you all helping me out with the car.

109,875

The fuse block is located on the underside instrument panel on drivers side. I will check the drawings for a possible fuse able link also. As far as the gas goes I would get as much out as I could now before the cars ever starts. If not you could have serious drivability issues for a while due to the condensation and wish you had got it all out. Condensation has settled to the bottom of your tank.

109,875

This is fuel pump test procedures

109,875

This is data link under drivers side dash by center console

109,875

Fuel pump wire circuit. There is also a fuse able link in that circuit. (Circled) It's wire color is ORG/BLK. Will have to check mine in morning but I believe that one is just to the right of your battery if you standing in front of the car.

109,875

No it's not the one by the battery that one is for the charging system sorry. I will try and put my eyes on mine in the morning. Hope some of the above has helped.

109,875

The fuse is located on passenger fender between radiator overflow and battery. Hope this helps

115

Dandyoun, Thank you for helping me with my car. By the way your iroc is looking good. You need to send me some pictures when you get her painted. I am moving so my car is at the old house still. Went over and looked for the fuel pump fuse found it right beside a relay on the passenger side fender in front of the overflow tank. The fuel pump fuse turned out to be good. Went and checked out all the main fuse panel fuses all of them were good also. With the fuel pump fuses being ok could that mean the fuel pump is still good? Would the next thing be to check out the fuel pump relay just guessing at this point. Thank you for the diagrams.

109,875

Do the fuel pump test procedure from data link listed above in one of the pictures. This will confirm good or bad pump. As far as my car goes might be trading her next weekend for a 1980 corvette. Have had my z28 for 16 years and I am the second owner. Not sure I can part with her she is part of the family. But I have always wanted a vette. Worth a look and a drive at least. Sure hope I don't regret it.

109,875

If you click on the pictures they will go full page so you can read the instructions.

115

When i was checking out the main fuses today. I seen were three of the alda connector wires that go into the back of the connector were cut. Red /red and white can't remember what color the last one was. Why someone would do that i have no clue. This was a one owner car.The father died left it to his son. The father built a garage just for the car.Was garaged since new. Had 5,000 org miles when i bought it from his son.I have owned it since 2005. May i ask where i could buy a repair book like the one you have. I two have always wanted a corvette hope you get it.

109,875

Damn. That's a great find. Only 5000 miles. Should be able to find the book at most any auto parts store. But then again I got my book 16 or so years ago.

109,875

Not sure why some one would have cut those wires. Some people just don't do things the way it should be done.

115

You are so right. The son took off the org hood and replaced it with a new hood that had a scoop build in to it. Also took off the factory rear window louvers. After buying the car i never went back to get them. Lately i have been thinking about putting the car up for sale. Because of my lower back surgery. I have plates and screws that makes it hard to get in to and out of the car. And being the car sets so low and with the suspension you feel all the bumps. I hate to do it knowing i will never find another garaged all it's life low mileage camaro. Think i will look for a trans am or camaro z28 from the 70's That way it will be easy for me to get in and out of lol. I will take some photos tomorrow after i have it loaded on a flat bed tow truck and moved to my new house and post them.

115

Had car towed over today on flat bed. The car sets so low that there was only 1/8 of a inch between the bed of truck and the car body.Did not think it would clear it. Here are two pictures of the car dandyoun. The guy that towed my car ownes his own shop. So i asked what he would charge to replace my fuel pump. He said 400.00 because the exhaust had to be taken off to get to fuel tank? I have read that the axle needs to be lowered but the exhaust taken off?

115

Here is the other picture. Sorry about the way car looks. has not been washed in over 4 years. lol.

109,875

Sorry been out of own. Damn that's a good looking car. A rare find for sure. If you decide to sell do not anyone low ball you. These cars are on a come back I feel. Could be wrong but it's a gut feeling I have. If you do decide to get something else list your car on Craig's list as "for trade" Then list vehicles that interest you. Never can tell what some guys are willing to trade for a vehicle like yours. You just might end up with a turn key car of your dreams out of the deal.

109,875

If that car was here in my area (lower alabama) it would probably go in a hurry.

109,875

According to my manual the track bar, track bar brace and parts of the exhaust will have to be removed or at least lowered to drop the fuel tank.

115

Thank you for the comment, I was hopping that i would not have to drop the exhaust, I had to order the fuel pump relay going to pick it up tomorrow from auto zone. Will let you know if that turns out to be the problem. Here is a picture of the mileage on the car. Would love to trade for a 1970's z28 or trans am. That would not set so low. That way i could get in and out with no trouble.

115

Car has no engine transmission rear end leaks at all. No dents or rust.

115

Almost forgot. It dose need a dash pad it has cracks. The head liner is falling down needs put back up. The drivers seat has a tear in the side that needs repair. Could use a paint job. Needs new tires they are cracked. I tried to find the same tires but was told that they don't make them anymore.

109,875

Yes the stock size tire is hard to find but BF Goodrich does still make them. I just bought a set for mine couple of months back. The dash pads are around $100 and the new head liner is around $200 I think. Do not just get your headliner recovered and reattached. You will be greatly disappointed. Cheaper and a lot better looking in the long run just to get a new one. Had mine redone and within a month it was saging again. The hard backing material gets weak and will not hold its shape. The new ones come already covered in the color you need and are direct fit replacements.

109,875

Just got back from the trade of my car. Everything was going good. His vette look great. We were test driving each other's car and he was ahead of me in mine when he made a u turn to head back to the parking lot we were dealing in. As I saw my car go by me I felt a sick feeling in my stomach. Upon arriving back at parking lot I called it all off. Just can't see my car in someone else's garage. Told wife to write a note about this day and pin it to my title so that if I ever think of trading her again I will remember what I felt in my stomach today.

115

You really are attached to the car. By the way you were sounding. I was starting to think that the guy had wrecked your car. But as i kept reading your post i see that was not the case. I have never had that happen yet. You kind of remind me of what my wife said about me selling mine. As long as i sell it to someone we don't know she is ok with it. lol. You two must have that binding thing going on. Anyway it's a good thing those feelings came out before you made the deal instead of after. Maybe one day you can still get the corvette without trading something that you know now is special to you.

5

@camaro2172000 and @dandyoun ....your questions & answers have been so useful for me as Im dealing with fuel pump issues. I love my 88 Iroc-z and refuse to get rid of it as my husband wants me to. I hope I can can my baby back on the road soon and thats the only issue as well. Thanks again guys