sick engine

Asked by Aug 19, 2010 at 12:06 AM about the 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Coupe RWD

have a 1988 iroc 350ho that needs a rebuild or a crate engine. my question is, if i wish to reuse  my TPI,what crate engine could i use. was looking at a fast burn 385 or a zz4. thanks steve

you sure its a 350 and not a 305,that is usually what comes in them,the TPI is desighend for that engine onley,it wont work on any other engine.

11,065

Don't listen to this guy....You will be able to use any crate motor using the center-bolt heads and the TPI will bolt right up. Edelbrock makes a set of crate engines using E-tec heads that will work. The main thing is that you will have to do simple upgrades like larger fuel injectors, upgrade ignition module and having the computer reprogrammed (may even want to convert to a plug and play unit, that is what i did) to compensate for the power increase of the engine you choose to use. I had an '87 GTA and I put a TPI 383 in it.. I even think Accel or Holly (maybe SLP, don't remember), makes a intake to convert your TPI set-up to the old-style GM heads.

8,205

this was posted twice but just in case you miss the other one, if youre doing a crate motor just dump the tpi. its too restricting.

was going to reuse the tpi for a bit of fuel economy. any other suggestions

yes this is mr know it all,FMS.

8,205

He's actually right.

8,205

I know with some decent money put into it you can beef up the tip system. Upgrade the runners and such. Personally I don't think it's the route to take. Have you ever thought about doing an lsx begin swap? They make kits and you'd even end up with a 6 speed giving you better mileage yet. Just a thought.

thanks i'll check it out

11,065

I know I had considered converting to an LSX type.. But that swap ends up being around 8k-10k.. I had a local machine shop take care of my block and heads, summit for the stroker kit, accel for the injectors and ignition module, and TPI Solutions (TPiS.com) for the stand alone EFI computer and MAF to MAP conversion. My total bill sat right at 3k.... One option to consider it you just want a simple plug and play crate motor would be the RAMJET 350, it is right at 5k from your local Chevy dealer.

11,065

Being a purist, and the fact you have an IROC, I would beef up your engine and keep it looking stock.

8,205

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/lsxconversionparts.aspx this place is a really good legit site.

75

I agree with Micheal on this. You should however also take into consideration that if the engine that you are swapping into the Camaro is considerably more powerful, wyou are going to want to invest in a pair of subframe connectors to stiffen the body up, otherwise you are looking at a twisted unibody.

745

lol yeah frame ties are worth while, and the tpi set up is great it dosnt flow so much after 5000rpm from what i hear, but its great for low end torque monsters... i thought the tpi would work with old style gm heads? but just not the vortecs?

745

and nobody else has said anything yet, so to the guy who posted the first post.... dont bother trying to give advice if you have no common knowledge about cars yourself, you will just end up making a fool out of yourself time and time again.