where are the v8 mounts placed on an 1989 camaro

5

Asked by Feb 27, 2010 at 06:02 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

i have a 1989 chevy camaro rs. it used to have the 2.8 v6 in it and im trying to put an lt1 v8 from a 1995 transam into it. Im really trying to understand what holes are to be used and what motor mounts im supposed to be using for everything to bolt right in. If someone could help me out on this subject it would help me out and i would greatly appreciate it. i havent driven this car in three years and i miss it alot.  thank you

you need a 60v - 90v convertion kit. i know theres one for a 2.8 s-10. the s-10 kit might work.

5

what do you meen 60v - 90v conversion kit?

the 2.8 is a 60 degree v engine and the chevy v8s is a 90 deree v engine. the mounts arent innerchangable without that kit.

5

im not trying to re-use any mounts from the v6. i have the original mounts from the transam. but they will not bolt up to the camaro crossmember. im trying to find out what motor mounts do bolt up to the crossmember so my lt1 fill fit. i also have had them welded in before on the last swap but i dont want to weld in. i want to bolt in. and ive been told that it can be done. but i havent found out any part numbers or any type of answer on what part will fit even if i was to go to a parts store. maybe that clears up any misunderstanding that i have maybe given.

take you time and read this carefully. youre getting engine mounts and trans mounts mixed up. im confused.

5

i said transam. nothing about a transmission.

did you get the tranny from the t a too?

5

yes. i own both of the vehicles and wanted to consolidate the high mile trans am into my camaro that ive got all my money into. ive already swapped the rear end into the camaro from the trans am. im just hitting the speedbump of bolting the motor into my camaro.

5

ive got the t56 and the aftermarket crossmember for it. and thats another one of my problems if i weld in some mounts bc i still need to cut the hole in the transmission tunnel for the 6 speed shifter. i dont want to have to dropped the whole eninge and transmission in as one piece to find out where to weld in the mounts you know? lot of headache in that hoping there is an easy way out. ;)

engine wise you need this:

the only mager headache is the tranny. if you had a t5 then it would drop right in.

5

ive already got the transmission crossmember and the original mount will work. im going to upload the pics of my camaro crossmember so maybe i can clear this up more cause the ones you showed me dont look like they will work at all or im just not seeing it...

7,535

there are conversion kits for this type of swap. hawksthirdgenparts.com should have it i think

give trans dapt a buzz and ask them if their s10 kit will work on your camaro. its the only one that goes from 2.8 to 5.7 (pre ls1).

nope, its for the ls1 from a gen 2 v8.

7,535

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/engine-swap/400030-common-lt1-swap-questions.html