How To Fix Clear Coat

Asked by Dec 30, 2006 at 09:08 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS Coupe RWD

I was wondering ranger762 how to fix the clear coat on my car.Its chipping off.

485

Okay, you have stumbled into an area that I have just started to learn about.I really only know very little about autobody repair.And the least of that is painting.But I did just try something for the very first time. I have a car that the clear coat is peeling off.I a better term for some reason(and I am still just starting to learn the reasons for these things)the clear coat on the car started to come off about 3 months ago.And everytime it would rain or I would detail the car it just got worse and worse.So I go down to my local body shop and ask what can I do about this. The gentalman tells me nothing, you need to paint it.Starting price of course $2000.00. Well me being me. I come up with this bright idea.The clear coat is totally a mess by now.So I figure why not take a razor blade and just gently scrape away the spots that were already coming off.Well that worked okay.So I go to my local parts store and buy a can of good quality clear coat spray.I follow all the directions(way too many to list here).And I sprayed the open spots and carefully tried to overspray just enough to help blend the coat to help keep it from being noticed.I can tell you that a single can was not enough.I need to apply at least 2 more coats to get it even with the remaining clearcoat.After I get to do that(maybe later this week).I have to wait for at least a week by the directions.Then buff the areas I sprayed to get a good finish and help blend it with the rest of the car that was not sprayed.Until I have finished this I really can't tell you how it will turn out.But I will tell you this.I only tried this because the only other option I was given was to have the car re-painted.And that is just not in the budget right now.And there is no way I could make it looe any worse than it already did.Otherwise I would have never have even thought of trying this.I have always said and I always will say, leave what you don't know for some who does know.Well at best it would only be a temporary solution to a permanent problem. In this one case I really had nothing to loose besides the price of the supplies.I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.But as a rule I would not recomended this to anyone that is not qualified in auto body painting. I hope this helps you in some small way. Terry

i dont know if this will really work but it sounds like something to try.

My husband is getting ready to restore my 1989 Camaro RS. I'm so excited because it was my first car and I love that car. Having children I need a car with lots of room for car seats....no longer needed, my boys are grown. So, I stumbled across your site searching for any information about clear coat. Almost everyone I've ever seen has had this issue. I think GM should have recalled the cars and reprinted them. If you guys know of any recalls or of anyone I could call, please let me know.

you can stop the clear coat from continues degradation by sealing the edges with clear fingernail polish after using a plastic 1 '' putty knife to scrape off the loose clear coat. Plastic putty knife does not damage the base coat when removing the flaky clear coat edges. temporary fix, but keeps air and water from getting under the good clear coat