fuel problem

30

Asked by Sep 07, 2016 at 12:42 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z

I have a Holley carburetor placed on a 350, if I run
the car it will pump gas for a couple of seconds
then shut down, is that the carburetor failing or a
problem with the fuel pump

100,345

Normally a fuel pump, but wasn't this a fuel injected TBI model?

30

I honestly have no idea, the carb seems as the same age as the engine so I kind of doubt it so could be wrong, but it's been running a mechanical pump n an electrical pump don't know if that's a problem

100,345

If your running both make sure the electric pump is one that can be drawn through, no check valve, you just want the electric to be a lift pump so it should be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible. It just seems strange that it would be running the two pumps when if the system is good it should only require the one mechanical pump or one electric pump, but not both.

30

The electric is in the tank n I tried removing the mechanical pump but gave the same results

100,345

This car should have had a 5.0 liter injected engine, so the pump that is in the fuel tank is a high pressure pump, and if it is working properly it would blow the internals of the mechanical pump and totally flood the carb with fuel, so what you have too do is remove the electric pump and make up a pickup tube with a screen on the end that will go to the bottom of the fuel tank, using copper tubing and having it sweated on the pipe where the fuel pump usually was attached is about the best way too do this, and RV screen can be used on the end, then replace you mechanical pump with a good one like accel or similar and your problem should be gone. HTH

100,345

Oh forgot, you will have to do away with the large inline fuel filter, it was designed for a high pressure system and a machancial fuel pump will have a problem drawing through it, you can however replace it with a clear motorhome filter as those were designed for low pressure systems and can be drawn through easily.

30

Ok that makes perfect sense but seems complicated, the carb has been flooding to the point it won't crank anymore. But thanks I'm try that

100,345

If an engine gets that badly flooded the fuel goes around the rings and into the pan, this can cause an explosive situation that can blow off the oil pan and the valve covers, so while your working on this you should remove the spark plugs, drain the oil and leave the drain plug out, remove the oil filter and let it stay that way until your ready to run it, then new oil and filter, reinstall the plugs unless they are totally fouled then replace them also. Good luck.

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

Ok thank you very much!

30

One more question please, I was thinking about adding a fuel pressure regulator to the electrical pump to convert it to 5-9 psi, how would you recommend that or will that be too much pressure

100,345

I haven't seen a fuel pressure regulator for automotive use that can handle that kind of pressure, but they arfe coming up with new stuff all the time, you might try Summit racing.

30

I read up on it on eBay but doesn't give any conversion info, I'm try and dig deeper into it