shows temp overheating and won't start

Asked by Jan 16, 2007 at 11:32 AM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z

1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z Coupe overheating is it showing on my    temp gauge car has the passive key system.

425

Okay, if the car is not starting, whatever the temp gauge is showing will not be the actual temp.If it will not start then it can't be running so it can't be running hot. When my passive key system went out here is what happened. I could turn the switch over as usual all the lights would come on like there supposed to and everything eletronic seemed to work fine, but the car would not do anything. No clicking sounds like it may be a starter problem, no sounds at all.The way the passive system works is there are 2 tiny(and I mean really tiny)wires inside the ignition switch. The ends of those wires make contact with the chip on your key sending a code to the CPU telling it that it is the correct key and it is okay to start.Sometimes one or both of those tiny wires will break off and cna't make contact with the chip on your key.Everything else will look fine and work as usual(radio,service lights and so on). But when you turn the key to the start position nothing happens.There are a couple of ways to find out if i'ts the passive system(and that sounds like what it is).One is to take the ignition switch out and just look.(Thats not so simple,many steps involved in getting it out)The other and the easiest way is to plug in a diagnostic computer. It will show a code telling you that it is a passive system malfunction. I don't remember the code for it, but alot of times you can plug in at one of the auto parts stores(Auto Zone,Advanced Auto,chain stores) or you can go to your local dealer and they can plug it in(usually for a fee anywhere from 20.00 to 55.00)That really sounds like what the problem is. If it is the only way to repair it is to replace the ignition. You may also want to get your key checked. The do go out from time to time. Not very often though.Usually you local dealer will do that for free.We tried everything in the book trying to find out why my car would not start. 3 days later we pluged it in and in 30 seconds we knew what it was. Good luck and please let me know how it turns out. If I turn out to be wrong I really want to know what the problem was. We all can learn something everyday. Terry