Wha can cause my Camaro not to crank?

25

Asked by Jan 18, 2007 at 08:32 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z

If idrive it more than 40 miles and its not cold outside then when i turn it off for mor than 20 min it wont crank back up. when i do try Cranking it it sounds like it is starving for gas. (i just put a new high performance distributer and had a full tune up.) it takes about ten cranks to get it to idol.  and after that when i go to take off it sounds like it bogs down. and it shifts real hard and takes aminuet to get going. could it be the catalytic converter or do you know of somthing else it could be.

425

This could be something as simple as a vacuume line that has worked i'ts way loose, or the fuel pump. What other modifications have you completed on the car ? This information would be really helpful. And is it tbi or tpi injection. And something you may want to try before even answering back is take it to a local Aoto Zone if there is one in your area or almost any nation wide chain auto parts store. Almost all of them can plug into your CPU for free and give you any error codes there may be. If that works it will save a ton of trouble shooting. And if i'ts tpi and there are no modifications to the throttle body or if it still had the stock air intake element on it, there is a vacuume line connected to the bottom of the breather the other end connected to a vacuume port on the fron of you throttle body.(if you are faceing the car the vacuume will be on the bottom right side of your throttle body. If that vacuume line has come off or if you have modified to an open air cleaner and you did not plug that Vacuume port then it will cause all sorts of starting and ideling problems go to this page read step #5 it explains the vacuume line http://cargurus.com/forums/posts/list/47.page I just added a picture of a throttle body here is the link you will have scroll down to find it, I have several pictures but you can't miss it. Also it will have to be approved first so it will probably be tomorrow before it can be viewed. http://cargurus.com/Cars/user/myGarage.action then click on pictures. Get back to me on this. I really want to be able to help you get it running the way it should be. Good luck, and I will research on any new information that you post, Terry