excessive clutch pedal travel on 2006 freightliner columbia with eaton fuller trans and clutch

Asked by Jul 06, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I am a mechanic in Afghanistan and am currently working on a 2006 freightliner columbia with an
8speed eaton fuller transmission and it has the 15 1/2 inch clutch, i just did the job or replacing the
clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing assembly. when you push the pedal to disengage the
clutch the pedal moves about 2/3 the way down before the forks make contact with the throwout
bearing. the cause of the excess play i believe is that with the clutch engaged and foot off the pedal
the forks are about a 1/4 inch off of the throw out bearing. how do i make the adjustment to bring
the forks closer for a quicker contact with the throwout bearing.

the adjustment is made on the clutch linkage. you can take the arm off of the cross shaft and make your adjustment there by loosening the jam nut and tightening the bolt in the shaft. the adjustment should be 1/2 inch between the release bearing and the stopbrake and 1/8 inch between the fork and the release bearing with 1 1/2 inches of free travel in the pedal