What kind of engine (other than a Datsun) can I use to replace the engine in my 1978 Datsun 620 pickup? It's a four speed manual shift.

55

Asked by Feb 18, 2013 at 04:44 PM

look for a 280SX in your junkyard. this one has a five speed and should bolt right in.

Best Answer

oops also a datsun. what are you gonna do with a drunken sailor?

what? you were looking for a CRATE 350 engine?....well I've got to tell you...talk about every system affected. A sleeper yes, but will cost ya. what like a good ole 1.9 escort shitty ford? huh? Datsuns RULE, if it weren't for my drunken neighbor smashing mine in the trunk and running it up a tree, would still be driving my 610 wagon (that had a 5 speed pulled from a 280SX)~

it worked just fine with my 610 wagon but I had to make a special five degree offset shifter seemed to bolt up at an angle. worked perfectly and the boneyard clutch looked better than my own...which was slippin on the freeway with the 4 speed.

55

Hmm not sure about making special parts. We have to have someone else do this work for us. My husband is just a basic mechanic!

well all is swell, but the shift lever pokes out at an angle. not too bad to deal with.