How do I remove broken off bolts in the block?

Asked by Oct 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

i just purchased A 1979 Plymouth of
the Lori Road Runner. I was
replacing The valve cover gasket I
noticed that two of the bolts holding
in the valve cover had been broken
off and they were the valve cover
was being held in place with caulk.  I
remove the call but I'm concerned
about the bolts and how to remove
them. Any suggestions on how to do

2 Answers


You can drill them and try to use an easy out to get them out or drill them completely out and retail the holes

1 of 1 people found this helpful.

Yes they are going to have to be drilled out, use a left handed drill bit that way if they do get a good bite some times they will back right out while you start to drill then you won't have to chase the threads or worst case heli coil the hole.

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions

  • rocker arms adjustment 3 answers

    have tap in rocker arms,took cover off straight tube down the whole lenght of head how do I do a adjustment on the valves 1973 440 6 pack stock heads.

    1973 Plymouth Barracuda


    Maintenance & Repair

  • bad oil leak, valve covers or head gaskets or something else? 2 answers

    hey gang, recently put a new engine in my 1994 plymouth acclaim V6 engine. it was a junkyard engine and ive made it about 2k miles with it sofar. it started burning oil about a week ago, went throug...

    1994 Plymouth Acclaim 4 Dr STD Sedan


    Maintenance & Repair

  • 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Stalled while driving Code 12 & code 43 43 answers

    Wife was driving the van and it died while driving down thw street. She started it right back up, it is runing OK, but the Service Engine light is now ON. I did the click of the key to get the Codes a...

    1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended


    Maintenance & Repair

  • battery place 4 answers

    I been looking for the battery posion on the exterior body, I could find it. Please can some one tell me where is at.

    1996 Plymouth Breeze


    Maintenance & Repair

  • my neon did not turn over like engine froze removed sparkplugs and there is water in cylynders 1 answer

    do i need a new engine or can I replace head gasket I guess if thats whats wrong and the engine wont even pop start it stopped me in my tracks

    1998 Plymouth Neon 2 Dr Expresso Coupe



Search Plymouth Questions

Plymouth Experts

#1 Tom Demyan
Tom Demyan
Reputation 930
#2 dandyoun
Reputation 430
#3 LouB
Reputation 330
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.