Fuel Burns Very Rich

20

Asked by Sep 08, 2010 at 09:12 PM

My 1947 plymouth coupe with a 350 chevy motor runs rich. The motor has a 650 holley carburetor and a mild cam. When I start the car my neighbors complain about the smell. I can't adjust the carburetor any better. I had the shop try and they can't get the car to run more lean.
I was thinking about putting a smaller carburetor on the car maybe a 500. Is it possible the motor is getting to much fuel with the 650?
The car runs fine it is not chocking from gas and there isn't any hestitation. Just a fuel smell.

9,190

It sounds more like an issue with the carb setup rather than the actual cfm. Take it to a carb specialist and they should be able to set it up for you specific engine.

20

Thank you I will definitely take the car to a carb specialist. I will keep you posted. Thanks.