Gas Gauge 1947 Plymouth

20

Asked by Jul 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM

What are the ohms on a 1947 plymouth business coupe.

985

On the gauge itself, the sending unit, what? I guess if you want the ohms on the car itself if you measure sheet metal to sheet metal it should technically be zero lol.

685

Dude on 1947 plymouth, that gauge should be all mechanical, no electrical specs needed

20

I must of been really tired when I asked that question. I'm glad you had a goodlaugh. I'll try this question again. What are the ohms on the original gas gauge of a 1947 plymouth.

20

Mark it's a 1947 plynouth with the original gauges. The car has a 350 chevy motor with a 12 volt system. The original car had a 6 volt system. I have the oil pressure gauge working the temperature gauge working. I have a 0-90 ohm fuel sending unit in the tank. The tank is a RCI fuel cell. I have a resistor on the gauge. The gauge reads 1/2 full when the tank is full. The back of the gauge has three electrical wire going to it and they look like the original wires. I got the resistor from stewart warner they said the gas gauge would work with a 0-90 ohm sending unit and a 60 ohm gas gauge. It does but still not accurate. If I take the fuel sending unit out of the tank and measure ohms, I get 90 ohms and the dash gas gauge reads 1/2 full. I.m trying to find out the ohms of the original gas gauge.

did you ever get the gauge to work if so what did you do i have the same problem

Use a variable potentiometer , A variable resistor, and adjust it until the gauge reads correctly then measure the resistance and get a resistor of that value or use the potentiometer. Looks like a volume control on old radios.

20

I haven't been on this site for a while. Sorry. How did you make out with your gauge? I changed all my original gauges to autometer. I matched the ohms on the fuel gauge to the sending unit. The gas gauge works fine along with all the other gauges. If I still had the original gauges I would try bigcat1107 method.

A little late but to my knowledge the ohms resistance for sending unit is 0-30.