There is a 2016 Toyota Venza advertised for sale in my area. According to the manufacturer, 2016 Venza are being manufactur d for export. Would this car meet US safety and emission standards?

Asked by Jan 09, 2017 at 08:14 PM

Since I tend to keep a car for more than ten years, I am also interested if there
would be problems licensing and maintaining such a car.

I am interested in this car as I am slowly looking for a replacement for my
2004 Subaru Outback. I am trying to get a sturdy car of about the same size
as the 2004 Outback that can carry kayaks on the roof using racks and also
has the seats break down so that a short kayak can be carried inside. Most
new cars are too tall.

7,495

Toyota Venza was only manufactured from 2009 to 2015

7,495

They're great, I bought my wife the very first one 2009 and traded it in for the last one 2015. Dealer told us they will no longer make it.

79,645

Licensing a car is just a matter of paying fees to your local DMV. I personally would look at a mid to full sized SUV or pickup for the use you have described. AWD or 4WD would be my choice.

The 2004 Subaru works very well for what I want to do. Full sized SUV are too tall for me to lift a boat on and to tie it down properly. I am worrying that the car might fail state inspections if it was made for export and might not be grandfathered as a car made for sale in the US would be. Also concerned about the availability of parts 8 or 10 years from now.

Venza s are being made for export until sometime in 2017.

79,645

A grey market car should be avoided but cars made for sale in the US should have parts available for years to come. Why not just buy another Subaru? Watch out for the new ones and research the oil consumption problem

The current Subaru Outback and the Subaru Forester are too tall. The Crosstrak is not long enough. The Venza can come in an all wheel drive.

79,645

If those cars are too tall then your choice is very limited. The Forester turbo model sits a little lower and I believe it has a lower roof line too.

79,645

Maybe a kayak trailer would solve your height issues.

No thanks to trailer. The 2004 Subaru still works and so far is the best choice. Still don't have a good answer on the quality of a Venza made for export.

79,645

If the Venza you are looking at is not certified for sale in the US then you can't legally drive it here. Otherwise it is a Toyota so I don't think you will be disappointed.

79,645

Open the hood of the car and look at the emission sticker. If it says the car conforms to 49 or 50 state emissions for the year of the car then you are good to go. To verify every thing run the VIN through an online VIN checker.

Best Answer Mark helpful