2006 Toyota Harrier Suspect Gear Box issue. Need advice!

10

Asked by Sep 23, 2015 at 03:27 AM

Hi Guys,

So I have a 2006 Toyota Harrier. Milage about 204,246 at the moment.

So the problem i'm facing is sometimes when i start my car, the moment i
change the gear from P to D, my car does not pick up. When i step on the
accelerator, the meter doesn't goes up and the car doesn't move. So
normally I need to either step longer or wait for while then my car will have a
"dup" sound, then it back to normal. It does not happen always.

Anyone face this or have idea what is it about? I have not much car
knowledge. Did approach to some mechanics they say the gearbox is fine
and no problem. Problem is I can't trigger it when I approach them. It
happened randomly.

Thanks.

Ken

97,655

Ken, may not be the gearbox, it could be the position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced....

10

Thanks Joemom, position sensor out of adjust. Does this part need to uninstall the whole gear box only able to check? So I just need to tell the mechanic to check on it? Ken

97,655

No the gearbox does not need to be removed both parts are inside the gearbox...

10

Okay. Thanks joemom! I will go ask mechanic and check it out. :)

97,655

You're welcome

20

Hi Ken, I'm having same gear transmission problem on my 2002 Alphard 3.0 V6. Can you please let me know how you solve the problem? nschems@gmail.com (email)

10

I am facing a same issue here, shift to D not moving, I need to press the gas slightly to like 3000rpm then c feel the attachment of gear. Still looking for solution. Malaysia here.

did u fixed the problem?

10

Kinda like fixed, its a temporary fix. Using KW Trans-X transmission additive, the technician said can stand up to 20k km, still trying. You can try Lubegard Transmission additive, thats what I gonna try the next oil change. Long term fix is change the gearbox, but I don't wanna go that path, so just use transmission additive is fine...as long as it work.

10

The problem with my gearbox is "Pressure Leaking", been told by technicians, as the parts ageing, the rubber seal inside the transmission get dull and hard, not flexible as it used to. So Every morning I need to pull to D, and rev it with handbrake on to 2000rpm, after around 10sec or 20sec the gearbox got heat up, then the shifting back to normal.

10

The purpose of transmission additive is to soften or swelling up the rubber inside the transmission, to keep the pressure stable inside the transmission. You can go youtube or google Lubegard or KW Trans-x, lot of 30 years car using... Hope this help :)

yeah, i have the same problem on my harrier 2005. every morning or during cold condition engine, after start up, i need wait around 5 to 10 sec and rev it to 3K RPM.. then it only work.