Green Coolant?? HELP

Asked by Jan 24, 2015 at 07:27 AM

I added Prestone 50/50 antifreeze to the orange that was already in my2010 Toyota
Camry, and now Im reading that I wasnt suppose to even though the Prestone says add
to ANY antifreeze...How worried should I be?

228,295

If it was Prestone 'Dexcool' 50/50, then your fine. If it was the regular green ethylene glycol, the chemicals will thicken up and you will be in trouble. Get your system flushed if that is the case.

150,625

Do it NOW what Tom said. Toyota's can not use green ethylene glycol. Look on the bottle and make sure it says "Approved for use in Toyota Vehicles"

150,625

Toyota's coolant is pink/orange..not red, not green. The main ingredient in Toyota's coolant is actually ethylene glycol, but with additives and no silicates, best for an aluminum radiator and heads/block. It's OAT, Organic Acid technology. ctownjohn, you best bet is to flush you system right away and use coolant specifically labeled for use in Toyota's. There are differences in the corrosion inhibitors and such that adding one type to another will reduce the effectiveness of the inhibitors resulting in premature failure of components such as water pump and radiator. The pink Toyota ethylene glycol has added anti-corrosion chemicals. This coolant has organic anti-corrosion chemicals (OAT) and are better for aluminum radiators and have longer anti-corrosion life. Toyota's OAT chemicals react negatively with the silicates found in green ethylene glycol antifreeze and can deposit scale in the water passages, over-thicken to the point of almost Jell_O (Just like Tom said) resulting in poor heat transfer and boil point temperature.

Thanks for the info!! I have driven about 100 miles since I put it in there. I made an appointment to get it flushed for Wed. gonna try to drive as least as possible till then. I hope I haven't caused any damage!