$700 for a complete break line replacement?

Asked by Feb 21, 2017 at 03:38 PM

Does $700 for a complete break line replacement
make sense? All my lines were rusted to the
extreme and one exploded when I slammed on the
breaks to avoid a stupid driver. The breaks dropped
right to the floor afterwards so I drove it to the
mechanics using my e break. He said 700 cash
and I think that's suppose to be a deal because
he's my uncles friend.. is this a reasonable price?

21,095

YOU didn't say or list what year or model your car is, like a Honda Accord, Pilot or whatever. .... And, while it seems high, sounds like you had a lot of issues, mechanical work and they probably did Everything, so , maybe it's entirely reasonable.

Sorry it's a Honda civic 2005

17,725

If your handy with your hands Go to an parts store and but the same size line you have and a kit to make your own or buy the replacements yourself which they also sell, we done one recently for a family member who unknowingly bought a northern car and did the make your own lines and was easier in my opinion as the lines are not so stiff and easy to form to your needs, we did try the preformed lines they are so stiff if you get them in a bind they bend and the only way to fix that is to buy new one again or cut them and put compression fitting in, so we just went back and bought the long straight lines and already had the brake line bender kit but only need it to make the ends for the fittings which will need to be purchased too and put on the lines prior to making the ends up. Even with the stiff preformed lines we bent trying to get in place which is impossible without taking the whole car apart that we did not take back for refund it was under a hundred bucks.

17,725

$700 is too much for me, some people who do not want to or can do the work themselves may think its o.k. but it only took a day and we were talking, doing other things, taking our time, so a shop should have this done in hours, $300 would be high I think. If you can put a car on jack stands and take your tires/wheels off and turn a wrench at each wheel cylinder and each calipar and the master cylinder and push and pull with your hands on some brake line to get it in the correct position (the straight make your own brake lines bends easy without closing in on itself making a blockage but if your worried about it you can use the long spring to slide over the line to keep it from bending too far) and unmount the old lines and mount the new lines in the holders & bleed the brakes then you can do this job too

21,095

Nicole- did you already have this work done?? Or is the vehicle still in the shop?

74,085

$700 is really not that high. Labor could easily run 4 hours or more which is often times more than a hundred dollars an hour, then there are parts which should include the flex lines as well as the hard lines.

21,095

Nicole-. Where do you live? Rusted brake lines?? Are you in the Northeast?? And, WHY didn't you have the car towed to the garage? If it's as BAD as you described, they probably had to replace all the lines, resurface the rotors, replace the calipers, replacement of the master cylinder, you mentioned that the pedal went all the way to the floor... Who knows what else? And, it's a 12 years old car. Yeah, I don't think it's a lot of money... I completely disagree with "engine creator".... Besides, Everything is easy when you know what to do"... And, you can't assume that everyone can do this correctly? You wouldn't perform your own surgery or act as your own defense attorney, would you??? That is why there's professional mechanics... SO, get your car fixed before you have a serious accident and injure yourself and someone else. You'll thank me for telling you this...You don't want to be a casualty... Brakes are just too important to skimp on and most places make driving a car with bad brakes illegal.

21,095

F_O_R--. Thank you...