old civic gets better mileage than new

35

Asked by Aug 21, 2008 at 07:38 PM

I have a 95 civic dx coupe and it gets 35 mpg in the city and 40 or so on the highway, why is it that the new civics don't even get this good of mileage? I am guessing do to more weight and more horsepower, but you have to buy a new hybrid civic to get this kind of mileage that i get with my old civic, same with the older civics I had a 91 same car except 4 door and it got nearly 40 to the gallon? does anyone know why the old technology is more efficient than the new?

365

Its all down to weight. Every car we have today needs to be on a diet. Only problem is that its our fault. People are demanding a/c, satnav, 8 airbags, electronic aids, high crash test ratings, leather, sound insulation etc. All this extra stuff we want in our cars is being added at the cost of weight. What do we do? Honestly i don't think we can do a lot.

835

the new posted mpg ratings are based on different criteria than older models and a car that gets 35 mpg now would have been posted as about 40-42 before. and i get about 36 mpg with a 95 grand am v6!!! city/hwy combined and can get over 40 the hwy and that is canadian gallons not u.s.

35

i hate grand ams

835

yeah so did i until i got this one for nothing, fixed it, and drive the shit outta it and still has 260,000 km's on it and gets 36 mpg. its a great car. but i like vw's and toyota's better. definatly not honda's they break to easy.