VW golf engine swap

10

Asked by May 05, 2016 at 05:25 PM

1,445

well, if you're going to do a swap consider ANY VW motor with a TIMING CHAIN... VW motors are interrupt motors, and spell certain disaster if the belt breaks for any reason.

10

Well I own 2 mk3 golf a CL and a GL both petrol but I want to convert my CL to a TDI but I don't know what the steps are to doing so nor can I find any for sale but I have seen mk5 TDI for sale but dunno if that would fit in my mk3

1,445

The make five golf engine will fit inThe make three body. But you're going to need a new engine mounts locations as well as the transmission… That also includes wiring harness is and any and all ECU/BCM as well

10

Are you sure the engine and trans will fit?

1,445

Pretty sure it will, the dsg gear box is smaller than the original mk3 trans, and the engine heights are about the same- t

10

Fair enough well I'll try and get it done but would I have to get a new drive line or what ever it's called cause the mark five has 5x100 stud pattern I think and my mk3 is 4x100 and like would it fit into the trans if You know what I mean cause I'll get the hole engine and trans and just chuck it in where would I be able to get it done and tuned and etc

1,445

I'm assuming you're referring to the axle/ hub, correct? if so, the make 5 is a 5x112, and you don't have to change the hubs to mate the new motor- I believe the axle splines are the same, so you would just drop the motor and have at it.

10

Yea the drive shaft thing but what do I need to do once the motor and transmission and the driveshaft thing are all hooked up I'm sure it would be more things to do then just dropping it in cause I'm going from a N/A petrol engine to a turbo diesel