My car (1999 volkwagon jetta) needs lower control arm bushings. Is it recommended that a certified perfessional do the work or possible the novice do- it -your -selfer can do satifisfactory work. Will car stands give enough clearance to work?

Asked by Oct 02, 2012 at 08:57 PM

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

What special tools are required to get the job done.

3 Answers


A novice can do it. You should not need any special tools if it is anything like my wife's '03 Beetle. Just a metric tool set and a rubber mallet. Jack stands will give you the clearance you need to work. I would use the highest setting on them though. One recommendation... While you have it a part, change your lower ball joints too.

Best Answer Mark helpful

save your time and install a brand new piece, a whole control arm. it is not worth the hassle,plus the part is not an expensive .

1 of 1 people found this helpful.

I completey agree with Michael on the ball joints. Check out this link: BFI is a great source. Another good one is ECS Tuning:

Your Answer


Looking for a Used Volkswagen in your area?

CarGurus has 115,295 nationwide Volkswagen listings starting at $1,000.


Volkswagen Experts

  • #1
    Tom Demyan
  • #2
  • #3
    Scott Sr.
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.