How to differentiate the leak in engine - valve cover gasket or cam tensioner seal in 2003 Volkwagen jetta Wolf ? Which one is leaking? Thanks.

Asked by Sep 24, 2012 at 05:38 AM

There is an oil leak in the engine area, dealers diagnosed the cam tensioner seal leaking, but the repair
garage mechanics say it's valve cover gasket. What should i fix in my 2003 Jetta Wolf? Thank you.

Steam clean the engine, the car wash will do, most have solvent settings, de- greaser, but important: use the proper ways of protecting electronics and anything and everything sensitive to water under the hood, drive it a while, the least amount of mileage possible to have it begin to leak, and inspect.