Subaru hatchback keypad

Asked by Jun 25, 2016 at 09:55 PM

I would like to buy a used Outback, but I specifically want one that has the
keypad in the hatchback latch area that allows me to open the car without
having the fob or the key.  Can anyone tell me what package I should look for
when searching used vehicles to find out whether a used car has this option?  
Very few used car dealerships understand what I'm talking about.

4,580

Using the term "keypad" is what's confusing. Assuming you mean key "lock cylinder", that's a feature of older WAGONS (like Legacy and Legacy OB), and not hatchbacks (like Imps and Imp OB Sport). Last used in the 2004 OB if I recall? PITA as they all rusted up within a few winters anyway....

You're right--this isn't clear. An option for 2014 and newer models--Outback for sure, and maybe some others from Subaru--is a keypad that's up under the latch to the back hatchback. A dealer told me it's only on the Limited trim models, but I'm not sure if that means EVERY Limited has it, if it's an option for those models, or what. I may need to just go to a new Subaru dealership and ask them the specifics on the option.