At what age or number of K's do subaru's generally become problematic/expensive to keep on the road?

Asked by Sep 16, 2014 at 07:02 AM

I am looking at buying a subaru liberty wagon but have a tight budget of max $7000. All
models i have seen for sale in this price range that seem good are from about 2000-2005.
Only thing is all have Km's >140,000. Does this pose a risk to the car becoming
problematic/expensive considering the age and K's driven?

32,905

Condition and history. That's what's important in that price range. Your going to pay more at a dealer and getting to chit chat with the previous owner isn't going to happen. Buying from the owner requires that you do homework. Google the vin. Sign up with carfax so you you know what s what. Finally have your choice gone over by a real mechanic. Last but not least I've seen a lot of posting here regarding the oil consumption of Subarus. Good luck :-)

150,665

Look right under the orange "Post Your Answer" right here and click on the Related questions , the one on top "How long..."

6,085

The oil consumption is more of an issue with the 2013-14 models it seems. The importaint thing to look into on that age range is if timing has been done recently and inspect for head gasket leaks.