cutting out

35

Asked by Oct 30, 2008 at 03:08 PM

car seems to cut out around 90 mph sounds like a backfire then i just slow down , ive only had car 3mths and i cant even
go over 80.any help would be good   thanks

7,515

Can you give maybe a little more information? Year, make model of car engine size was it like this when you bought it? Where are you where you need to go over 80mph? ...

2,050

You're not giving much info; that will make it tough to diagnose. If there are no other factors to go by, my first estimation would be an emissions issue. Does the check engine light come on? I'd start by checking out the catylatic converter. Again, this is based solely upon the info provided. When Cat converters go bad, they restrict the exhaust flow. At higher speeds, more heat is generated and the converter wil simply cease to function. The next time it does so, use a tire iron and beat it a few times hard! If the issue corrects itself, you've found the problem. This is only a short term cure; it will need to be replaced. ALSO!!!! You may have multiple converters in the exhaust system! Check if there are others. Hope this helped.

35

hello mate , no lights come on it just pulls like f*ck all the way up to 80 ish then it gives a bit of a pop then it seems to just die loose power then i ease off because i dont want to f*ck it right up someone said it may be the dump valvue but im not sure...... thanks for your reply will get that looked at

35

sorry mate yea its a subaru impreza turbo 2ltr uk .was like it when i got car and we thought it was the clutch. but still there.car just pulls like it should then around 80 seems to pop and sort of cut out or loose power.then i slow up a bit someone told me that its got a wrx turbo fitted to it so im wondering if it got tuned up properly or not .. thanks for your reply

2,050

Sounds like it performs poorly through the entire powerband consistently then manifests around 80mph. I'd still bet it's the cat converter.