Cross bars

10

Asked by Sep 08, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Our Subaru Outback has those cross bars on the roof . Apparenatly that causes a terrible noise while driving. Any one knows how to them them off? Theye are the clean look ones. There is a little rectangle that you push to open and then you'll see a little plastic circle with "teeth". I was told by my service department that no tools are needed to remove that rack. Does anybody know anything about that? Thanks a lot

80

Hi there, There is a simple tool that is required to unscrew the circle with Teeth. It should have come with the roof rack as it did with mine. If you don't have it I am sure the dealer has extras. Once you unscrew the circle the racks should come right off. You are correct to note that they generate a bunch of noise. I have a pair as well and until I need them they stay in the garage. Hope this helps. nick

10

Thanks a lot. Greatly appreciate your feedback. It realy helped.

155

First, yes the rack makes noise. I have a 2.5i and I noticed that. There are a few things that can negate the noise. 1. If you grab at the ends of the rack (where the rectangle thing is) if that is loose it makes a LOT of noise. To fix this you need the little key to remove the cap. Once removed you can see where the cap and lock mounts to the rack. It is a little metal piece... IF you push that piece in (I whacked it with a hammer) it makes the caps stay closer to the rest of the rack closing the gap and removing a lot of noise. 2. Remove the headliner from inside the car and add some Dynamat to the roof. I did this for better sound with my Polk M series. But it also reduces some of the roof noise. I personally bought the bulk pack and did the doors as well. 3. Turn up the stereo. It doesn't improve the problem but it negates it. Bottom line, it will keep making noise, simple aerodynamics. I would say with the Dynamat and fixing the bracket it is not tolerable and I have a nice sound system that can easily drown out the air. As for your original question, If you open the rectangle thing you will see a number inside the little lock. Most likely 47 (not much of a security key when all Subaru's use the same number). That is what the dealer needs to get a new key.

Do you still have the cross bars? If you do please email me because I need cross bars! Thanks! Let me know at spence48@gmail.com

If you still have the cross bars please let me know. I need some for my subaru!!! Thanks, Spencer You can contact me at spence48@gmail.com