My 2003 saturn vue has water on the oil cap . Can it be fixed

Asked by Dec 07, 2015 at 08:55 PM

47,415

Do you mean condensation inside the cap? Check the oil on the dipstick and see it it looks like it is contaminated with water. Hopefully all you have is a little condensation but a lot of water means a leaky head gasket or a cracked or warped head.

148,885

Sure it can be fixed but that depends on so many many things. A few droplets of clear water in the morning is simple condensation and no worries. But if it's a white goop, that's emulsion, a mix(yes oil and water really can mix) and form emulsion. Pull your dipstick and see if the oils is a nice amber. Or even black of past for oil change. But if it's the color of chocolate milk you have a real problem

148,885

I type slower than you FoR

47,415

And I thought I was slow.

148,885

Before you do anything else, replace the PCV valve. Could be stuck closed. If your crankcase is not being ventilated this will happen. It's a $5 try before ripping engine apart

47,415

Good point Ford. Combustion gases have a lot of water vapor in them and if the ventilation is not working then you will get a certain amount of moisture inside the engine.

148,885

Especially if the car is driven on short trips, to the grocery, that sort of thing everyday or two and never driven on the open highway for at least 30 minutes about once a month. Barbara, is that the case? You only take short trips?

47,415

If you mostly take short trips you need to drive farther every now and then to full warm up the engine and drive the moisture out. Change your oil more often too.