Need help with car

Asked by Jan 12, 2016 at 05:32 PM

Ok, my Pontiac g6 started making a rattling
sound,  I took it to shop an the bearings in
my water pump was going out...  The car
never ran hot or did the temp go over
normal..  I bought the water pump an took
the car to the dealer I'm buying it from to
have it changed..  After he changed it an I
got the car back,  the car kept trying to run
hot,  I turned it off when it went a little over
225..  We changed the thermostat an it still
tried to run hot,  I had the car towed back to
dealer and they replaced water pump again
an it did not fix the problem,  so today they
call and tell me it's fixed an when I get there
told me all he done was removed the
thermostat...  Now the car won't move off
100 degree mark an I have no heat because
of no thermostat,  I called him an asked why
they only removed the thermostat instead of
replacing it if it was bad when I had a
lifetime warranty on it,  he told me the car
will not be able to be ran with a thermostat
because it has a clown head gasket...  No
water in oil nothing coming out tail pipe, no
most in motor it runs great...  Can anyone
please give me advice on this? It's a 2007
Pontiac g6 base model

10,110

if you have a blown head gasket, it will get worse. I would ask them what your options are. could be pretty expensive fix.

I just don't understand how it could have a blown gasket when it was never ran hot... An there was nothing wrong with it before I took it to him an now all of a sudden since he worked on it it's several problems.. He pretty much told me there's nothing he can do an I'm stuck with it like it is..

210,455

Maybe they didn't bleed the system properly. I personally would cut my loses with that dealer and see a local mechanic and have them look it over for you to get it right.

I'm going to take it an have it looked at an then make dealer fix it.. It's obviously something they did since I didn't have this problem before they messed with it..

31,525

Follow Tom's advice. It could have been airlocked and the proper coolant bleeding plus a thermostat properly installed may be all it needs.

OK.. Thank you guys alot... If I may ask how do you bleed the system? I asked them yesterday if they did an was advised that it dosnt have a bleeder to not it..

On it

10,110

Laura, there are several youtube videos on how to bleed a cooling system. Not hard. Might follow toms advice though. There is a test called a combustion leak test that can confirm the head gasket problem. There is a kit for it, about 50 bucks, but if you don't want to tackle it then lots of shops can do it.

16,810

In your question you say we replaced the thermostat so you replaced it your self ? And if so how did you bleed the air from system ? And does your vehicle have the cap on the over flow tank to add anti freeze ?

Yes the cap is on the over flow tank, no we did not bleed the system when we changed it because we was told it didn't have one, these problems started before we changed thermostat right after they changed water pump...

16,810

Bleed air from system like this. Remove cap from over flow tank fill with anti freeze to full mark leave cap off and start vehicle and let idle and reach operating temp anti freeze will start to back up in tank this is normal once thermostat starts to open anti freeze level in tank will drop add more anti freeze to full mark then put cap back on. This will remove all air from cooling system.

OK thank you... Will do first thing tomorrow