2002 Grand Prix probs-stalls when first started unless I press gas pedal, has an intermittent gas smell fro engine compartment near fire wall, and surges like its not getting gas and is worse going u

Asked by Jul 11, 2015 at 07:33 AM

3.8L

16,850

Check air filter and clean throttle body and Idle air control valve change fuel filter if have not done so in a while add fuel injector cleaner to gas tank.

Will try all these. Any idea about the intermittent gas oder from engine compartment?

16,850

If engine is not firing right not burning all the gas it is possible that the gas is being shot back up through throttle body. When was last time you had a tuneup a few of the plugs may be fouled causing hard starting and stalling.

Its been over 2 years. Also if you give it wot it misses like that too but if I back off the pedal some it takes right off. I just pulled a code 420...

16,850

If you Google engine code 420 if will send you to sites that will help you understand the meaning of code and what can be causing your problem.

16,850

Go to this site. http://engine- codes.com/p0420.html.

16,850

Code says try replacing ( 02 ) sensors first sometimes it may fix the code but I most cases the catalytic converter needs to be replaced.

OK thank you for your help!