Will run and idle just can't get up to speed

Asked by Nov 11, 2014 at 08:19 PM

I have a 1990 Pontiac 6000. It will
idle and go into gear and drive up to
40 mph and It acts bogged up and
can not get any faster. Please help
me

17,460

Sounds like a plugged catalytic converter.

The cat has been gutted and re installed any other ideas

17,460

Throttle position sensor? Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel filter?

A mechanics told me to post I have idle and it goes in gear just no power if that helps

17,460

Yea a little. Have you checked any of the things I suggested earlier? Are the plugs and plug wires good? Can't remember if that car has a cap and rotor or coil packs? It's been afew years since I worked on a 6000.

It has coil pack and replaced filter no help next day of plan throth position sensor and fuel pressure regular

It also burned a half a tank in bout twenty miles

17,460

a half a tank in twenty miles? Time for a new car.

I have a 06 Saturn that burns a quarter tank in the same distance

17,460

A V-10 Ford F-350 4x4 gets better milage than that. I'm guessing your 6000 has about a 17 gallon gas tank. So you are saying the 6000 is getting less than 4 MPG?

Yea could that also be because of the fuel pressure regulater

17,460

It could be.

We're is that part located on my engine if u remember

17,460

Along the fuel rail on the top of the engine

How do I tell if the fuel pressure regulater is bad or not plus the intake manifold gasket was messed up and two injectors have three holes on the bottom and the other four only have one will that make a difference

17,460

The intake gasket was messed up? Has it been fixed? Yes a HUGE difference with the holes in the injectors. I would take all 6 out and have them bench tested. 2 are definitely bad. The other 4 could be right behind the 2 bad ones or they could have already been replaced.

17,460

This would also explain why you're getting such bad mpg.

They said they replaced the two injectors with the three holes but not the other four with the one hole they were said to still be good. I'm considering selling and cutting my loses. Any thoughts or should I stick with it. I just don't know how good of a car this will be when I'm done or if it's worth it

And is there any way for me to test the fuel pressure regulator at home. I don't have access to a shop

17,460

No not really any way of testing at home. The car is 25 years old. Even I would have dumped it long ago and I am a die hard Pontiac nut.