1979 Trans am interior color question

5

Asked by Oct 06, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I have a 1979 Trans Am  400 c.i engine 4 speed, WS6 , T-Tops, no air , no power window or locks, black exterior with tan cloth interior. Seat belts & carpet are black and the rear arm rest are also black. headliner is tan as too the rear window side panels. I ordered the PHS documents to check but I have to wait!  I recently found an original build sheet on top of gas tank but I cant make much as condition is poor. I did notice seat belt are original black color according to build sheet. My question: could the carpet be black with black rear arm rest and the rest of the interior tan?   Please help me decode this car.

34,165

Black.........

19,310

Yup, BoholMark is right, black it is or was or should be, LOL.

5

It looks funny and almost not original! is it a special order or did factory set up these colors to mismatch? I don't want to screw up the original setup. sorry if I sound too concern over this issue. Just not too informed and would like to do the right thing. BTW: was there a reason for the mismatch?

5

I live in Miami, Fl. Car was not equipped with A/C. Would it hurt the value if I added A/C? Should I leave it alone?

19,310

If the seat belts are black then so was the carpet. If you he car is all original and very very nice do not add the a/c.

5

Thanks for the help! Car is nice but it does not have matching engine. It does have correct transmission. It's a 400 but not the original. The rest is all there.

19,310

No problem. If its not a numbers car then put the a/c in for Gods sake. You live in Miami Florida, LOL

285

I put myself through college rebuilding Trans Am's and I have never seen a brown interior and a black carpet combination in any of them. Now before the yelling begins, I'm not saying that it is incorrect just because I've not seen it. It has been awhile since the late 70's and early 80's, I'm getting old and forgetful. My real purpose of replying was to tell you that there is often a build sheet between the springs and foam of the back seat, back. I have also found them under the dash, and occasionally between the foam and the springs of the seat bottoms - and no particular seat, it could be any of the four.

19,310

He didn't say brown, he said tan.

34,165

I'm beginning to think that one of the owner's along the way was color blind and replaced various interior parts from the junkyard without regard to the color.

19,310

What color is the dash pad and door panels?

285

I am far more knowledgeable about Mustangs than with the Trans Am, though I still have my 78, and built over a 100 of them. Mostly black or gold ones. I built a bunch of Black with Camel interior and everything was camel inside. I built a bunch of gold with camel interior and everything was camel inside. I never (or at least recall) anything having a camel interior with black seatbelts or black carpet. But again the 79 camel cloth had black in it, and I believe the pattern in those seats are unique to 79, but I'd have to do some checking to make sure. But that still wasn't the point of my response. I just wanted to let you know some more possibilities for locating the build sheet. And - whether they are brown or tan, I believe Hoholmark knew what I was talking about. BTW neither is correct - and since Trans Am 77 wishes to be such a stickler, the build sheet and window sticker lists the color as Camel.

19,310

Oh now don't get me wrong I'm no expert on this and maybe BoholMark is right. GWL thanks for clarifying the Camel color. I was just using the color seaserge, the guy who originally asked the question, used.

5

The dash is Tan, door panels tan, center console tan, steering wheel tan, rear panels above armrest tan, rear arm rest black, seat belts black and carpet black. The cowl plate indicates tan cloth seats. I recovered part of a build sheet found on top of gas tank when I removed it last week. I was able to read the correct color of the seat belts to be "BLACK." now I'm waiting for the PHS documents to complete my study! I must say, I'm enjoing the archeology study of the restoration as much as the work. I stated earlier that I don't have the correct matching engine for this car yet I still would like to keep it as original as possible. On a side note: I removed the rubber underneath the carpet and found the floor to be very solid. Should I reinstall the old rubber with adhesive or should I redo in the newer soundproof metalic sheets that is very popular today? I want to thank all the Gurus for the help! keep it coming... :)

34,165

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your TA.

34,165

As for the carpet. Two thought of mind. If it's not broken don't fix it. Isn't there something else that you could spend the money on. And then again, Oh Why Not. :-) . Keep posting.

19,310

If that much of the interior is tan/camel then put tan/camel carpet in it. If you Google images of "1979 Trans Am interior options" there are quite a few tan/camel interiors with black sear belts.

19,310

Seat belts

Has anyone seen a 79 TA in black with black dash, console, stealing column, front and rear lower panels with camel interior everywhere else.