i have a 1995 trans am convert the power wire to the transmission module goes to fuse link 11 then thru the coil when i put the car in gear it blows the fuse killing the coil. it is not a short

Asked by Mar 18, 2014 at 01:01 PM

My 1995 trans am 5.7 V8 blows the 10amp fuse that powers the tranny solenoids. I had a
problem with mice chewing the wires off the module plug but i have replaced it with new
wiring harness from the module to the fuse box and a new harness inside the tranny. Are
the solenoids bad? There is not a broken or damaged wire anywhere else i can find. Is it
common for solenoids to go bad just like that?

4,325

Not really. If you have a multimeter, check the current draw on each lead of the internal harness. Is it possible that it got pinched during the replacement and is causing a dead short? Also check the temp sensor solenoid, if it fails it can cause a ground fault through the shifter module. Try this site to help you track down the issue: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/wiring.html

Thank you for the answer Mark and the link was helpful also. I used an inductive amp probe on the pink hot wire where it splices into the C105 link and found the amperage was spiking to around 36 amp which leads me to think it is a bad solenoid. The pink wire powers the 1,2 shift the 2,3 the 3,2 shift and the TCPWM solenoids. Way too much for a 10amp fuse. I will use the link to test the solenoids ohms. with a mutlimeter. If the ohms are within range does that indicate that the solenoids are good or could they still be defective?

4,325

Amp draw alone won't tell if the solenoid is working, only that it's being energized. But a high current draw is sure sign something's not right. You're on the right track, test the TCPWM solenoids individually (it's a pain). That said, it would be unusual for a solenoid to short out on activation. I'm still thinking its a wiring issue.

Thank you Norm very much.. There is more than one TCPWM? I have ordered a new one and a new 3-2 shift because they are all on the same power wire. I already replaced the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I have checked and rechecked the wiring on the connector no wires have been crossed and have replaced the wires to the connector. What could the wiring problem be if new solenoids don't do the trick?

4,325

Sounds like you've eliminated the wiring as an issue. There's only one TCPWM. (sorry for the extra 's'). Hopefully that does it!