We put synthetic oil in our 2002 pontiac trans am ls1 motor. The car got stuck in traffic and the oil pressure dropped to 0. We replaced the oil with 10 w 30 and the oil pressre has been great. 2 weeks ago the oil pressure has been staying between 18 and 40. Since the on a several occasions when we start the car the oil pressure gauge gets stuck on 0 and when you rev the gas it goes back up. What do you think the problem is

Asked by Mar 07, 2014 at 07:04 AM

First try replacing the oil pressure sending unit. If that doesn't cure the problem, it's probably time to replace your cam bearings. Just looking at the oil will tell how the bearings are doing. Drain it into a large open container and agitate it with your hand while shining a flashlight into it. Its normal to have a very small amount of very fine particulate, but if you see lots of swirling metal flakes or it looks like metallic spray paint, then you've got issues. Inspecting the filter is good, too. But if its one of those things that's just from excessive wear, then the oil and filter may look OK even though the bearings are shot since it took so long for them to wear out. At any rate, it sounds like its time for a rebuild.

Norm Davis

I agree to a point. The car is 12 years old and probably had a rough life. I never recommend using synthetic oil in an older engine unless it's been used all along, or the engine has been completely torn down and rebuilt. Synthetic oil is terrific, and often has aggressive cleansing agents in it that tend to loosen old oil residue and deposits. You might have actually clogged your oil pump and some of the smaller passages. Try running a can of Slick50 and regular 10-30 for 500 miles, then drain it all and put in 10-40, or even 10-50 oil.

Rich Scheiterle

my 1999 ram air t/a came from the factory with synthetic oil in the engine ,trans,and differential,,ive only used mobil 1 extended performance oil in it the life of the car 168.000 miles now runs like new uses no oil between changes ,at 7500 miles i replace filter and add 1/2 quart to make up for filter change ,no smoke ever ..sounds to me like you abused your vehicle ,plus i have several times run at 150 + where the computer will not let go any faster !!