How many seatbelt styles are there for am 87 Transam?

10

Asked by Dec 25, 2013 at 08:20 AM

I ordered a 3 point seatbelt for an 87 Trans Am. The company I ordered it from deals with restoring older vehicles. I received a 3 point seatbelt but it isn't the right style for my car. I am wondering how many seatbelt styles there are for am 87 Trans Am. The label for the seatbelt when I received it said it was for an 87 Camero, I see on the internet that they are pretty much interchangeable with TransAms but this seatbelt does not fit my car. Any help is much appreciated.

71,805

I'd suggest getting an original sales brochure for your car. Ebay or Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside, California will probably have one. They have good interior photos in those brochures of the different trim levels that were offered. Off the top of my head I remember a Recaro interior was offered as an option. I'm sure there were others. The Camaro was basically the same car, as you said. but some things were of course different. Another thing to consider is that your seatbelts might be 1987 only. That is, Pontiac may have only used your seatbelt design for one year. For example the center console on 1984 Firebirds were like that. 1984 only and no other year will fit. My Nephew ran into that problem a few years ago. HTH. -Jim

5,355

Call the company that sold it to you and ask them. These belts were all the same within a single year but probably had small differences between years. Many reproduction parts are made as a "one style fits all" design. If the company can;t help, take a picture of the passenger belt and shop it around to other suppliers. Also, try looking for one on the "thirdgen.org" website. Folks there are pretty knowledgable.

10

Thank you very much for both answers, I will follow both advises and hopefully everything will work out. Thank you very much.

71,805

You're welcome. Glad to help. One other thought that comes to mind on this is try The Pontiac-Oakland Club. They have a website with a wealth of information on it. HTH. -Jim