How do you change the hi low beam switch.I got one from the auto parts store for my 1988 trans am gta but it don't look right.I think someone changed the steering column I have no idea what year that column is.can you help

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 01:32 AM

Open the hood to access the battery. Disconnect the negative battery cable to isolate the electricity. Remove the steering column shroud by removing the screws with a Phillips-head screwdriver. The shroud will separate in two pieces. Pull the top end up and the bottom end down. You may need to adjust the steering wheel up or down to help take it out. Hold the turn signal lever below the windshield wiper control and twist forward and pull out. This will expose the multifunction switch. Unscrew the multifunction switch with a Phillips-head screwdriver. There will be two screws holding it in place. Disconnect the wiring harness leading in to the switch. The wiring harness is held on by two tabs that need to be pulled out so the harness connector can slide out. Installing the Dimmer Switch Place the new switch in position. Tighten the screws to hold it in place. Plug the wiring harness into the new switch. Slide the connector in till it clicks in place. Push the lever in to the side and twist toward the front of the vehicle. The lever needs to be tugged to ensure it is sitting in the switch correctly. Screw the steering wheel shroud back on to the steering column. Tighten the screws with a Phillips-head screwdriver

4,095

Great instructions. Hope the OP follows them to get the job done. I'll put this in my collection of "How to fix this...." files!