What kind of engine can I put in my 1988 Trans Am?

5

Asked by Oct 27, 2012 at 07:51 PM

So I'm not really keen on cars put I wanted to replace the engine and transmission in my Trans Am. Can I
just drop any engine in it? Or does it have to be a specific year/make/model? Same goes for the
transmission.

30,965

Without emissions you can do whatever your pocket can afford. But before you do anything with the engine you need to plan on beefing up the body because the frame design is what's called a unibody. Do some research on them, when done properly they are as strong as a full frame car. And honestly I would go with 383 stroker forced induction 6 speed manual with a rear end gear ratio around 3.5. More power than you will ever need and get traction with and still amazing on gas. Since the 383 starts off as a 350 there will be no issues with it fitting.

3,055

unless you really know what you're doing and have all the tools to do it , have a known shop do the work. in the long run it'll be a lot cheaper.

2,695

any chevy small block will fit, 305 fuel injected wuld be stock, a nice upgrade would be a 350 fi from a corvette will bolt right in, just get the ecm from the vette as well

Can I drop a hemi in my firebird or ls2?