i have a 86 trans am and it turns off out of no where i've. replaced the carb and the fuel line and don't know what else to do if anyone has any suggestions on what to do please let me know

Asked by Jun 12, 2012 at 01:12 AM

56,835

If this happens when the car gets to operating temperature then can be restarted once she cools down, check the ignition module. Also, if the fuel system has been modified, it may be vapor lock. Ignition coils can sometimes fail like that too. Hrat makes them quit. Ehen they cool off the car will start &the run again. HTH. -Jim

915

yeah jims right, also giving it a good tune up would help, the timing might be off causing it to stall when idling (i assume thats when it turns off?)....taking it to a place and getting it tuned (doesnt have to be performance tune) is worth the money, they have a lot of tools that we dont and u'll get a noticeable performance boost regardless

4,095

If it just shuts down with no warning or action you can identify, I would look for an electrical problem within the ignition system. Loose coil wire, short in the ignition wire, etc. These are hard to find unless the care is in "failure mode", but you may get fortunate and find it just poking around with a probe or meter. The same thing happened to me a long time back and I traced it to a wire that was broken but intermitantly touching inside the wire's insulation casing. Next time it fails, see if you ahve spark and then work back through the dist, coil, etc. and see where it takes you.