Tune up?

915

Asked by May 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM

my trans am will kind of sputter and almost die when i start to accelerate, then regain compsure and drive fine....im wondering if u think a tune up would help(it needs one) or if it would be SOMEthing else, i just had the tranny rebuilt and a new clutch....engine (350 ZZ4) is under 40,000 miles

210,335

When was the last time you did a tuneup, can't hurt to start there. Check your plugs and wires, fuel & aIr filters, and clean out the carb. Put some drygas in the fuel tank, maybe there is water in the fuel since it's been sitting. Also while your under the hood check for vacuum leaks. The hoses are probably are hard and dry rotting.

915

last tune up was a few years ago, but the engine has over heated a couple times since then....ive already done a lot of work replacing old parts on the car with new engine, carb, k&n air filter....water in the fuel is possible, i did see some water sitting in the tray around the air filter...plus last time i got a tune up on it, it was performance dyno tuned with seriously high quality expensive shit lol, worth it, but not if i would have to do it every few years

timings off.

75

This is a simple fix. The accelerator pump in the carburetor is not working. Looking at the top front of the Quadrajet you'll see a lever that pushes down on a plunger. There's a seal at the end of the plunger that's worn out or torn and it's not forcing fuel out of the chamber. To see if this is it, with the engine turned off, slowly open the throttle while looking down the bore of the carb. You should see a steady squirt of fuel into the bore while the throttle is being moved as that plunger goes down. If you lose that squirt of fuel, you get the symptom you describe when you accellerate caused by the momentary lack of fuel. Hope this helps.

35

i had the same problem, In my case it was the fuel pump relay ($14 part) actually got one at the salvage yard instead though because just starting to learn about cars. I recommend you check out thirdgen website it help you solve tons of problems.