1987 trans am (skips)

25

Asked by Mar 12, 2012 at 07:43 PM

it starts to skip at around 55mph, and i was wonderin if the screw on the top of the carburetor had something to do with it because i turned it in a little bit and it seemed like it helped it but im not sure. does anybody know what that screw is for?

need a little more info than that ...... there are several adjustment screws on a carb.

25

i think it is an air adjustment but im not sure. its directly on the top between the barrels on the carb. you adjust it with a flat head screwdriver.

is it stock? rochester?

ok after a little investigating your car stock should be a chevy engine with multi port fuel injection how long have you had this car?

105

so, what engine and carb is in you car? Is it a straight drive or auto.. has it been tuned up lately? Here's a scenerio (hope I spelled that right).. if it has not been tuned up lately - has old ignition parts - that could be a problem. When its in high gear and just loping along - developes an intermitting misfire - could be igniiton - like plugs, wires,etc... This is good check whether its carb or fuel injection..

25

its a stock rochester, 4 barrel. the car has a 305 in it. its automatic. it has new plugs and wires and oil. and could the skip be comin from the ignition module?

105

possible but not likely.. usually the module works or it don't how about the cap and rotor - have they been repalced? also the wires and plugs - could one of the wires have gotten on the manifold and burnt? also its possible a spark plug could have a crack in the ceremic portion if not properly installed with a spark plug socket. I've had this to happen once and drove me crazy trying to figure it out. the quality of the ignition parts also plays a part in this.. the cheaper the parts - the more likely the problems.. always use good ignition parts. not the absolute best (for a stock vehicle) - but middle of the road will work fine.. once all the ignition parts are verified to be ok - next check the carb - if its verified to be ok - not had any unnessary adjustments done to it - then look at the engine compression.. but 9 out of 10 times - intermitting misfire is in the ignition system..