Do i have a blown headgasket?

395

Asked by Jul 12, 2011 at 09:51 PM

I have a 1997 Trans Am, I just replaced the distributor, waterpump, plugs, wires, and
bought a new air filter. So one morning I went to drive it and I realized the steering
wouldn't turn, the power steering pump fell off it bolts, apparently someone didn't put
both bolts back on so the one holding it broke. I moved the alternator and 2 waterpump
hoses out of the way and bolted the pump back up and fill the car back up with coolant.
Works fine. Then yesterday the next morning I start driving it and it surges and drops
almost like I'm messing with the accelerator but I'm not, then it stalled. I started it back up
and its fine. So when I go out to use it again a bunch of coolant came out of the overflow.
Everytime I cold start it, it surges and stop for about a minute, then its fine.

35

I don"t think its a head gasket you may have a air lock on your cooling system or check you maf sensor good luck

395

I unplugged the MAF and let it sit all night. Started it this morning and it did the same thing. I plugged it back in. I also forgot to mention I replaced the TPS 2 days ago hoping that was it. And I ordered a IAC valve. Those 2 parts only cost me 30 bucks. So i figured why not. I cleaned the MAF earlier too and no change. What is an air lock??

35

air lock in your radiator when you add coolant sometime you get a air lock to get rid of that you lift the front of car and let it run for a while

395

Yea but I doubt that keeps recurring every time I start my car in the morning. I dropped off the car at the mechanics. Thank you though.

35

did you change the fuel filter

395

Nope, I thought about it but I decided to just take it to the mechanics.

395

Turns out it was a wire that needed replacing that has to do with start-up.

I would say yes. I had a vey similar problem with the operation and the coolant out of the overfloe. It was indeed the head gasket. Do you know where I can get a driver's side seat?