ignition shutoff

Asked by Jun 08, 2010 at 06:14 PM

after placing shifter in park; am unable to turn key to off position.Must wait till hearing "click" from steering column(usually a minute or so) before I'm able to shut engine off.Any ideas?

9,965

The click you are hearing is the key lock mechanism releasing the key. You are having one of two problems. Most likely your neutral safety switch is going out. You can replace this yourself......BUT there is also a chance the key lock mechanism may be sticking (more uncommon but possible). Only way to fix the key lock going bad is to replace the ignition lock cylinder. But chances are you have theft-lock and air-bag. You cannot do it yourself. This task will have to be assigned to a mechanic.