I have a 1979 trans am convertible

5

Asked by May 01, 2009 at 07:12 PM

It is no. 43 of only 250 ever made into convertibles at National Coach Engineering straight from the factory. The car is in great shape. Just wondering what would be a fair price for it?

75

It depends on the condition. My '79 WS6 T-Top is worth $9,750 at the lowest according to NADA, that's with a 20-footer paint job and a little work needed. I got on there to find out yours but it's not a dealer option so NADA cannot price it as a convertible. It's obviously worth more than a regular T/A.

15

Ya a few years back I saw about an '80 or so convert. goin for like $13500 @ a dealership. but couldn't tell u what other options it had.

6,095

Sounds like a really great custom. Don't think I have ever seen one and it probably would command a price above the typical Trans Am of the same year. Just to be clear, you said it was "straight from the factory". I assume you know it was not from a GM factory. It came as an aftermarket custom from National. Probably cost the person or dealer that had the conversion done about $7-10K above the TA sticker price. If it is in good condition, original drive train and most other parts, and is in "great shape" as you say, I would estimate that it is probably worth about what the other guys said - $10K low end; $15K high end. Other factors would include what options were on the car, what proof of ownership/originality you have from any previous owners, and whether it has a clear title. Market for these cars is not very big but it is growing. If you don't have to sell it, I would keep it another few years and see what interest develops now that Pontiac is no longer in buiness.

i agree with taver, if you don't have to sell it ,especially since it's numbered. you canalso get it documented from phs-online.com.

35

In 1978 this company began converting Firebirds to convertibles. Prices ranged from $19,995 to $24,995 in 1979. For some perspective the 10th Anniversary Trans Am (Pontiac's most expensive standard offering for 1979) averaged around $10k. The NCE dealer option added on average over $8,000 to the factory invoice. Only T-Top Trans Ams were shipped to the NCE facility for conversion. This was due primarily to the extra rigidity built into the T-Top cars. NCE reinforced the frame and pillars as part of the conversion process. They also re-located the rear speakers and dome light. One interesting note is that a roll bar option was offered by NCE but only for the 10th Anniversary models. The convertible top and boot cover were made of vinyl and were often poorly color matched with the interior. The boot cover featured a thin foam padding and nickel plated snaps. A common problem with the vinyl top was becoming pinched in the folding metal frame. Because of this it often took two people to raise or lower the top. In order to get an NCE convertible it had to be noted on the order sheet. Its believed, but not confirmed that NCE converted 250 Firebirds in 1979. We have no production number information for the other years yet. Total production is rumored to number around 500 from 1979 to 1981.

20

Thanks for all the good information as I was wondering what my car is worth. I have the #2 car. It was used as the test car in Motor Trend Magazine in the Sept. issue ( have copy) and has added extras such as real wire wheel knock-offs and a special color combo... Looking to sell... Anyone interested..? captainocean@gmail.com

20

Hello, I also have a 1979 Firebird Formula Convertible too. I got mine off of Ebay in 2000 and have completely redone mine pretty much from the ground up. I made a custom roll bar in it with a brake light(similar to a 1970 mustang Shelby). I love my car, and is always a crowd stopper, and at car shows my car is ALMOST always to most rare one in the show. Did you sell yours? I don't know if you still monitor this thread, so I post a pic if I hear back from you. T Haist missouri

10

Hi Matt. I just saw this & I know it's an old thread but can you tell me where you got it from and what the original color is? My Dad had one and sold it in FL approx. 27 years ago. I'm looking for it and I believe there were only 200 made. Thanks!

20

I own car number 1 firebird conv. For 1979. Have original papers and it has a yenko 427 all aluminum engine. Blue/green metallic with black interior. Automatic and no a/c because yenko engine takes up to much room. Been in the same family until two years ago when we acquired it. New paint, good interior, needs new top. Very fast!!!!

30

I know where there is a 1979 10th Anniversary convertible is located. Supposedly only ten were made as anniversary cars. It is very poor condition and missing the original front clip. Engine is original 6.6 in pieces. Owner wants $12k and I figured $30k to restore. I can not see the numbers working, but could be amazing

30

10th anniversary convertible in rough shape has been stored under tarp in garage for 15 years was from Florida at one time

20

Wow... I can't believe this chain is back and going around... I still have my 100% original 1979 T/A car #2... Thanks to all for the information... I will post a few pictures soon... Ken Petersen.

30

Its a true 10th anniversary t-top car made into convertible. I've always had a rare trans am sitting around and wish I would have never seen it 3 years ago.

20

Hello, I have posted a pic of my 1979 Firebird Formula convertible. I fabricated the rollbar, and put custom items here and there to make it my own. I love my girl, and I'll die with her. I have bought my 7 year old son a 1979 firebird formula t-tops, and I am searching for my 1.5 year old daughter a 1979 formula hardtop. It's going to be a family affair! To answer your question as to what is one of these is worth..... Depends to whom----- priceless to me. I'd say the 2nd gen convertible will be priceless someday, but time has to go by till it ripens into the classic rare car it is. Time has a way of changing what is a valuable car. It's a piece of Pontiac history, and there was like 500 made totally. I can not imagine that this rare piece of Pontiac history will go unsung forever. Just my humble thoughts, and it doesn't matter to me either way... I would not sell it for any amount of money- I have wanted one since I saw a Trans Am convertible on "The Dukes of Hazard" in 1979. I was hooked!

I think I have a Hooker "Show" Bar for one of these convertibles. Got it at a swap meet and when I went to install it in my hardtop i realized the support arms were different. They dont go through the package tray. The hoop seems to fit just fine thats what made me think it would fit a convertible??? If anyone can look at the photo and tell me if they think it is for a convertible that would be great! I want to sell it but cant until I know what it is...